Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Food and Hunger

Elean0r

How can we waste less food and could it be possible to produce and grow regional food so that we do not use so much CO2?

Jayden B

Hi Eleanor! some ways to reduce food waste would be to eat smaller portions and avoid over-eating, properly store food so that it doesn't go bad prematurely, preserve foods using methods like pickling and canning, save leftover food, and compost foods. Regarding your second question, research done by Hannah Ritchie concludes that what you eat is far more important than where your food traveled from. Most of the greenhouse gas and CO2 emissions occur on the land and farm where the animals and plants are from, and the extra emissions from processing, transport, retail, and packaging are negligible when looking at the entire process. In order to reduce your carbon footprint from your diet, it's recommended to avoid foods such as beef, lamb, and cheese which significantly contribute to greenhouse gas emissions and instead opt for poultry, fish, nuts, and fruit that have a much lower contribution to greenhouse gas and CO2 emissions. To see where I got this information, visit the link below.

https://ourworldindata.org/food-choice-vs-eating-local

Voice1145

Voice1145-SJRState

This is the post I've been waiting for. The reason is that it's crucial for us to recognize the available opportunities that can enlighten us on the right methods to achieve financial conservation for sustainability.

I often worry about the creation of environmental policies that may overlook the needs of those who cannot easily align their livelihood with sustainable practices. It's imperative that programs are adapted thoughtfully to tackle these challenges, ensuring individuals in less fortunate circumstances can receive the necessary support to address these issues. Thank you, Jayden, for sharing this insightful information. It reminds us of the importance of the integration of economic, social, and environmental considerations to ensure that the benefits of sustainability are accessible and equitable for all members of society.

BenjaminT.sjr

Hello Eleanor I am not sure about how to produce more food regionally but I do believe that we can all be smarter with how much food we eat. The majority of people in the United States at least have much larger portions and a lot of people don't eat it all and waste it. I believe that we can eat smaller portions and we can use programs that take food that are about to expire and give them to people. The link below is a company that takes food that is about to expire and donates the food to people who will take it.
https://wastenotflorida.org/

4 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer