Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

hunger

saurohnr

the problem with world hunger is "not enough food" when there is very much so enough food. As the food industry throws away perfectly good food so they can keep their food fresh. this is a core reason why world hunger is a problem, successful food industry throwing away perfectly good food.

1mfspinosa

I agree, the world produces enough food for everyone to eat. The problem is that it can be hard to access. One of the reasons it can be hard to access is because of climate change.

APhelan

I agree, there is 100% plenty of food for everyone. Again the factories or whatever throws the perfectly good food away to keep it fresh when it can be given to the people who need it. Even if it is hard for people to access, we could make more of an effort to get it to the people who actually need it.

buffa25

Couldn't agree more, if industries were to host charitable events to give this food away to those who aren't able to get food by themselves. It would lessen the population of people who are under the "world hunger" title.

Zoe23

I know a lot of chain restaurants in the US are guilty of throwing away perfectly okay food and/or not allowing employees to donate food that they don't want to sell (Starbucks specifically is guilty of that). But I've also noticed a rise in programs and initiatives that try to find and redistribute this otherwise wasted food. Hopefully that trend continues.

rectorazariyah@gmail.com

If businesses created a plan as to where the food goes rather than just throwing it away, there would be less waste. Especially when the food is hardly bad. These food products could be used for meals for people in need.

6 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer