Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

MY Family Footprint

Many students using our footprint calculator said that they could not pledge to reduce their home footprints because they were not making the decisions for the household. Here is your chance to design your own sustainable virtual household!

If you had your own home, what would you do to make it more energy efficient? Where would you get your electricity from? Where would your house be? Would you live near to your school or work or local transit options? Where would you get your food from?

MY Family Footprint >

How My Familly Has Reduced Our Carbon Footprint

seth_1

Whenever my family wants to get somewhere, walking or biking is always our first choice. If we want to go get dinner somewhere, there are many places within walking or biking distance. Exercise is also a factor, as walking somewhere is better for you and the environment.

Another way my family saves energy is by taking trains if we need to go far, we have taken only 2 planes in 15 years. Some days I ride in the car to school with my brother on the way up to one of my parents' work, this means we drop off my brother, then me, and then my mom or dad drives to work. This is a really efficient way of getting to two schools and a workplace. Another way we get to school is by taking the bus, which produces 33% lower greenhouse gasses per passenger mile than a car, and is a little more fun smile

My family has also developed a habit of turning things that we don’t need in the moment off In the summer, we run the air conditioner in the morning when it’s cold and it keeps the house warm for the rest of the day, as opposed to running the air conditioner for the entire day and having the same result. If it gets really hot we can just walk down to the river and swim for a bit there. Even when we shower or brush our teeth we save by turning off the water when it’s not needed.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to know how to save energy and reduce their carbon footprint, as it has certainly helped me.

https://www.transit.dot.gov/sites/fta.d … ge2010.pdf

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer