Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Food Waste and Poverty

E32309

Every year, about a third of all the world's food is wasted. That's about 1.3 billion tons. Meanwhile, there are about 1.1 billion people living in poverty. The numbers for both of these are rising. This is obviously a big problem we're facing. Most people take the food they have for granted and throw away food if it doesn't look appealing without a second thought. However, there are many people out there who can't afford to have even 1 good meal each day. The countries who waste the most food each year are China, India, and the USA, who waste 91 million tons, 68 million tons, and 19 million tons respectively. This is partially due to their huge populations, but that does not excuse the enormous amounts of food they're wasting.

Source: worldpopulationreview.com

sr29

I think that food waste is something people nowadays easily look past, especially people who grew up comfortably. A parent might think that if their child doesn't like the meal they made, they can just make something for them after. This is actually wasting time and food because now you have to go make something else and you have to get rid of the food they didn't eat. This waste problem is also common in restaurants, fast food chains, bakeries, and cafés. If they have extra food, they'll throw it all away because they have no use for it anymore. They could easily donate this food to people in poverty or give it away to those in need instead of throwing away piles of food each day. I actually saw an example of this in my life and I was disappointed to hear the situation. One of my family members worked at a popular sports arena, and one time they came home with a huge bag of popcorn from the concession stand. They said that if they hadn't taken the bag, it would've been thrown away like the rest of the food they threw that night. I believe that's something to think about and hope to change, not something we normalize. That was just one sports arena in my city. Imagine this same case in every arena everywhere in the world. That is an absurd amount of waste from concession stands.

Dance32

Agreed. Most people waste food instead of consuming it. There are so many solutions to then fix or help fix food waist. There are so many people that go without their proper food amoung other things when their are so many people that live not to far from people who are starving and dying. Those people are throwing away food that those people down the street would kill to have. The spread of where starving people in America live compared to “rich” people is disgusting.

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer