Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Home Grown

How much does eating locally-produced food help the climate problem? What are the other potential environmental and social benefits of eating locally-grown/produced food? Do you have a food garden in your school or at home? If not, do you want one?

Home Grown >

Eating locally can help

Lundy:D

Eating locally sourced foods is one way to make a lifestyle change that will  reduce your carbon footprint. When we purchase food not grown or raised locally, it means that it was transported by a means that will increase our carbon footprint as a whole. Eating non-locally can also mean that the produce you consume is not as fresh. It could have preservatives or pesticides that make it less healthy to consume. Furthermore, it helps strengthen your local economy. Instead of making a wealthy company more wealthy, you are supporting people in your own community. Finally, an added bonus towards eating local produce is that it is seasonal. This means whatever is in stock grows best in your location, and your climate. https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/7_benefit … ocal_foods

maleahalexander

Locally grown foods

You make a fair point and I would agree with this to an extent although lots of partially developed countries may not have the right climate, ecosystem, and weather to support freshly grown crops. It can be extremely expensive and unaffordable for any to purchase locally grown foods for them and their families to eat. On the other hand I can understand what you're saying about the benefits of buying locally grown food. If possible I definitely support that you should avoid buying from big corporations and try to support smaller nearby businesses where you are guaranteed fresh and non preservative food

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer