Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Reuse & Repurpose

It's very tempting to throw things away or even drop them in a recycling bin when we are done with them. Is there a better way?

Share your ideas for extending the “lives” of the items that we buy and use, and their packaging as well!

Reuse & Repurpose >

the problem with recycling.

Takoyama

Now obviously I'm not the most qualified person to be talking about this but I think in many respects we have been lied to about recycling, not just by greenwashing on the corporate end but the federal agencies and global recycling industries.  We as citizens are expected to go through an absurdly long process just to handle our recyclables and quite frankly I can't help but feel like it's because they don't actually want us to recycle (in other words recycling isn't good for the economy because it's not profitable).  Only 6% of plastic waste actually gets reused in products because apparently if it's not cleaned and dried properly it just can't be used, but of course they aren't clear enough about relaying that information to the public.  Like why should that be our responsibility, you have the money and resources to do it yourself as a public service or at least properly educate people on how they can genuinely contribute without useless 5 minute crafts like "using milk jugs to make watering cans".  It just doesn't make sense.

source: https://phys.org/news/2022-05-plastic-recycled.html

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer