Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Home Grown

How much does eating locally-produced food help the climate problem? What are the other potential environmental and social benefits of eating locally-grown/produced food? Do you have a food garden in your school or at home? If not, do you want one?

Home Grown >

Warnings before getting a personal garden

Haywire

Getting a personal garden, especially one that you can sustain yourself on, is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint. I recently moved into a house with a personal garden with my family. Our garden is 9000 square feet and has a small orchard. We barely eat from our garden, which is almost entirely food-producing plants, mostly because they don't produce. I believe that getting a personal garden is a great step to reducing your personal carbon footprint. But, I also believe that your should plan and prepare the proper plants for your area and make sure you have enough space for it to make a big enough difference it to be worth it. If you aren't getting enough use out of your garden, you could be wasting water and/or fertilizer if you decide to use it. I recommend getting a small chicken coup instead if you are low on space; you will save money on eggs and it will still reduce your carbon footprint.

Here is a website about the benifits of backyard chickens: https://www.chicagobotanic.org/blog/urb … d_chickens

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer