Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Posters for awareness

Louisa Schwarm

Something that surprised me about my carbon footprint was the sheer amount of carbon produced by my consumption of meat. I knew that meat consumption caused a fair amount of carbon output into the troposphere but I was unaware that it would be so impactful. I think that a good way to reduce carbon output of this kind would be to educate people about how much carbon and other greenhouse gases are released when meat is produced for consumption. A good way of doing this would be putting posters up in places where lots of people pass through.  This could help make people aware of their impacts on the earth and they may be more likely to choose plant alternatives to meat or at least consider their meat intake.

noragomes

Although educating people about their carbon emission is a smart and forward-thinking idea, I think that no matter what we do or say about meat consumption, at the end of the day people are still consumers and will do what they think is right for their body. Putting up posters and educating others will only make them aware of their carbon emission, and not actually stop the vast majority of meat consumption in the world. Another reason that this might not be the best use of our resources is that although some people might see this poster and think about their consumption, others will only glance at it or not even take the time to look. Educating one or two people about their eating habits is hardly beneficial because there are still millions who contribute to meat consumption and the mass producing of meat.  A few people stopping eating meat will not have any effect on meat industries, and their carbon output.

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer