Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Now It's Time for Action!

All of you have calculated your emissions and you have surely discovered the unexpectedly high impact of some of your behaviors (eating meat, flying to a sunny destination, etc.) on your total footprints.

Are there any behaviors that you are really willing to change or to improve for the sake of the environment? What challenges do you encounter or think you will encounter while trying to change these things? What help, support, and insights from others would make your life easier with these new behaviors?

Let's discuss these issues and make our pledges here!

Now It's Time for Action >

Social Media and Climate Change

Mauro GR

I'm sure most of us use social media at least once in a while, and I want ask how many of you have seen anything related to climate change within the past week? This could have been an ad or a post that was either calling out for action or denying it completely. Personally, I haven't received anything related to climate change in the past week, and that very well be because social media apps are recommending different content I'm more interested in, but I also believe that social media can and should be used as a way to get out messages further into the public and reach a bigger audience. Thanks to social media, anyone can have a voice and can project their voice throughout the world, regardless of language boundaries. Opinions can be expressed and solutions can be thought of with people around the globe about a global problem. This also means that organizations may also update the public on their discoveries and/or ways to reduce carbon emissions, especially if a big company posts something about it, it already reaches a large audience. Also, this allows for information about climate change to spread, like statistics that prove climate change. However, I also believe that some of this information should be monitored. This is because social media also allows for misinformation to spread. One study found that 16 of the largest polluters in the world had uploaded over 1700 ads on Facebook containing misleading information about climate change, which reached over 150 million people. Also, activists on social media may only call out for action rather than actually putting in effort to reduce carbon emissions. On a final note, as much as social media may be used to call out against climate change, it still uses a lot of energy which adds to an increase of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. That is why I believe social media is both a good and a bad tool for acting against climate change.

https://charitydigital.org.uk/topics/to … vism-10898
https://www.nrdc.org/stories/climate-mi … ate-action

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer