Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Home Grown

How much does eating locally-produced food help the climate problem? What are the other potential environmental and social benefits of eating locally-grown/produced food? Do you have a food garden in your school or at home? If not, do you want one?

Home Grown >

Why should we grow our own food?

kierstins_roach

If you grow your own food locally, say in your backyard, it can help our climate/Earth by a long shot. You don't contribute to burning fossil fuels when it comes to shipping out items, nor are you using up gas/electricity. Also, veggies/fruits often come in plastic packaging. If you grow your own food, you are not using any plastic, which means you aren't contributing to (potentially) throwing away plastic into the ocean.

Benson Jiang

I completely agree with you! Growing our own food can reduce the amount of CO2 released by factories buring fossil fuels to produce food. If we plant our own food, the plants would help the world also by taking in the carbon in the air. Overall, I think growing our own food is a great idea!

1029446@oside.us

I agree, growing our own food reduces the CO2 emissions from trucks that ship the food and the CO2 emissions from the big farms.

Kijhana

I agree because it helps you eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and you can decide what kinds of fertilizers and pesticides come in contact with your food and it lets you control when to harvest your food

OliveV

These are great responses. Growing food in your backyard is a great solution to help our climate. Growing food at your house or having a garden outside by your house is awesome because you don’t contribute to burning any fossil fuels. When you get vegetables and fruits at the grocery store there is so much unnecessary plastic that is being used. Growing your own food reduces CO2 emissions from trucks that ship the food from country to countries. With all of this being said, you should start a garden and plant your own fruit and vegetables!

Isabel.pf

I agree with growing your own fruit and vegetables because it reduces fossil fuels being used and plastic waste so it has a much more positive outcome.

Dashiell_D

I agree I think that if we choose to grow and farm our own foods we will lower the CO2 emissions and plastic wast exponentially.

Osmith44

I agree with that I think it’s important that we should grow our own food rather than getting it from stores which were transported by trucks (CO2 emissions). Growing our own food can help prevent most food waste because you would be growing exactly what you want to eat instead of a bunch of food being mass produced and it eventually not getting used or eaten. If you were to grow your very own food in your backyard or your own farm you would be reducing the burning of fossil fuels. Plus any plastic waste that comes from containers would be greatly reduced as well.

Monty1818

I agree that it is very important to grow your own food, growing your own food can reduce your carbon footprint, and help contribute to a future with less carbon. Tomatoes, potatoes, strawberry’s, lettuce, garlic, onions, carrots, these are all foods that you would normally get at the supermarket, however with a little bit of care, they can also be grown at home. Growing foods at home is a great idea, it helps the environment and most of all, it is tasty.

pbaroody

I agree with this statement. Growing food in your backyard is a great way to get some vitamin D, and have some fun while benefiting our environment. My mom has a small garden going and we use all of the veggies from it in our meals. It is a great way to produce healthy, tasty foods while helping out with climate change.

Mkalloch

We should grow our own food, to be less reliant on the economy and government, to reduce green house gasses and to have healthier and more organic food. We would be less reliant on others. Because you would be in charge of your food intake, you would reduce green house gasses because there would be less fuel and gas used to ship your goods. Your food would be healthier because there would be no toxins or gmos.

Thoe.chandler

I agree! Most of the problem with this tho is that not many people have time to do this, my mom for example goes into work everyday and gets back pretty late so it would be pretty hard to maintain a garden. Even so I think that if people have time or can manage to change their schedule, they totally should!

12 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer