Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Food & Hunger

Nomais

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO. Yet we throw away food every day good food without consideration for those who don't. We as a group need to do better and start thinking of others, not as fortunate. If you know you eating too much or you have taken too much food, consider saving it for the next day. We need to reduce food waste as much as possible, if saving some food for the next day helps then we should all do the same.

Baxter.Thackeray

I know at least in my community we always try to compost our food which is a good alternative because when it decomposes than you can use it for things like gardening to grow more food. And there are a ton of organizations dedicated to helping people compost their food.

Amelial

Food insecurity is a real thing. One in four kids in Maine don't have enough food to get through the day. Isn’t that crazy? Now that just talking about Maine. We are pretty fortunate in Maine to have food shelters and pantry’s to help those in need. However there are country’s less fortunate than where we are. My hope is one day we can find a sustainable way to transport food and water to other places that need it. It so ridicules that we produce so much foos in the US itself and there are till millions of people staving. How is that justified? It’s not there should be no reasonable answer for that. Don’t waste your food be grateful you even have the opportunity to have it. Be a kind human, help the ones in need. Be the change. Humans take things for granted we need to come back to reality and relies not everyone can take food for granted.

Dashiell_D

I agree. I think we should make a greater effort to get rid of food wast and save our left overs for later rather than. Allowing them to go bad or throwing them away.

Willy1

All true. We can all compost and even give extra food to someone or somewhere to eliminate food waste. We can even give all the good waste to our dogs.

JudahBurgess3232

This is very true, many people in Maine may not realize the issue that is poverty and food insecurity because of how small some of the communities here are. In Maine it may not be a large issue but in other states like California, New York and Florida it is defiantly a more pressing matter. Advocating for money to put towards homeless shelters and food pantries would be a great way to start helping people that are in bad situations.

6 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer