Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

We should stop wasting food

RyanWang1017

There’s so many people dying from hunger, we should appreciate our food more. Around 9 million people a year die from hunger. You should at least finish or food or give it to the people in need so that you don’t waste the good that others really need.

fonzyy

I agree with you, we all need to be more aware of what is happening and we need to eat and buy food with more responsibility to avoid wasting food given that in many countries there are many people dying of hunger.

VISABOD

I agree, people across the world need to be more mindful of what they eat. People throw away over 92 billion pounds of poof per year. This concerning amount of waste can be cut down by making sure to only eat as much as you need, making sure not to buy more food that you can eat.

KyzzBOD

I agree with all the comments here. Food is definitely something we shouldn't take for granted and we are so caught up with our modern-day lives that we fail to recognize the sanctity of food and its importance to humans. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO of the United Nations, people waste one-third of all food produced. If we didn't waste that much food, world hunger would cease to be an issue and national food security would be ubiquitous.

daanBOD

I agree. I think that it is really easy to take such a basic necessity for granted and that it is important to recognize the amount of resources we are exerting to create food that is going to waste. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, in the United States alone, 42 coal-fired power plants, enough water and energy to supply more than 50 million homes, and an area of agricultural land equal to California and New York go into the production of a year of food waste. The amount of resources we are putting into cultivating food that does not even get eaten is unacceptable, and I think it is so disappointing considering how big of a problem world hunger is. America solely discards over $473 billion worth of food annually, equating to 38% of all the food in the country. World Food Programme Executive Director David Beasley says that it would take an estimated $40 billion each year to end world hunger by 2030, showing that it would cost less to solve world hunger than to stop food waste. With this information and having seen the data from my own carbon footprint, I think that it's important to take accountability for your own contribution to the problem and be mindful when dealing with food.

Links for statistics used:
https://www.wfpusa.org/articles/how-muc … ld-hunger/
https://www.epa.gov/land-research/farm- … food-waste
https://www.feedingamerica.org/our-work … %20America.

Brielle BOD

I agree with this, but there are still other factors that relate to food that shouldn't totally be excused. I believe giving your unfinished food to others, for an example, your family members, is a great way in making sure that your food isn't wasted. However, I also believe that not finishing your food shouldn't be looked down upon (at least completely). Let's say you and your family are at dinner, and everyone has finished their food but you. You are full, and so is your family. Your family doesn't want to eat your leftovers. The solution to this would be saving your food for later, but if someone is teasing you for not having the ability to finish your food, I would consider that to be a little bit unfair. What if you had an eating disorder? Everyone has a different relationship with food. People with specific eating disorders may not be able to finish their foods. For example, people with ARFID (Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder), experience not feeling hungry, forgetting to eat because food is not a priority for them. Now put a person with this eating disorder into the situation--would you blame them for not finishing their food? They might feel guilty for not being able to eat what's left, and I think that shouldn't be looked down on. It may not excuse them from the fact there is 9 million people a year dying from hunger, but it does put in perspective how one might feel with an ED. Food shouldn't be wasted, but let's not blame others for not having the ability to eat a lot.

6 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer