Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Home Grown

How much does eating locally-produced food help the climate problem? What are the other potential environmental and social benefits of eating locally-grown/produced food? Do you have a food garden in your school or at home? If not, do you want one?

Home Grown >

Home growth

Robynn.

I think it is very important to buy a majority of your food locally. For as long as I can remember my family has been buying our food from local or organic buisnesses. This way of life can benefit you in so many ways, for example a healthier diet. With a healthy diet, you will have more of the nutrients you need, making you more energetic and focussed. This is also a great choice for our environment. It also eliminates a lot of activity in the animal food industry.

myajg (Canada)

I agree. Find out where all your produce is coming from. It just feels so much better to know where your food is coming from. It is also much healthier and better for the environment. Same with vegetables. Or even have your own garden.

Bkenny

I agree with you. I think it can be very difficult to know where your produce and groceries really come from. In my area there are a few local farmers market but it is still difficult to only buy locally grown product as so much product is grown and shipped into chain grocery stores. Eating more locally grown food would be better for our environment as well as supporting local business.

maddij

I completely agree with you. If you buy food locally not only are you helping your community but also heavily cutting down on CO2 emissions that would've been released by transporting those fruits or vegetables across the country. The elimination of the animal agriculture from your diet will also help the environment significantly.

Lulu W

Locally grown and organic food is excellent. When you eat it you don't just feel way better and healthier, but you are also supporting your community. If you support your community by buying there food from a market or a farm stand, they will grow more. Really everyone should buy locally grown and organic food, and maybe even grow their own too.

SarahZ

I agree as well. Not only does it support the community and cut down on CO2 emissions, but it also cuts down on the amount of pesticides and other chemicals used on the food. Most larger companies when growing food are more likely to use chemicals or preservatives on the food to make it last longer, while locally sourced and organic food is less likely to have it. Not only does that make the food healthier for us to eat, but it also provides less run off into the environment that could potentially hurt other animals.

wiggina

I think that locally grown food may be better and have higher quality, it is more expensive which means those with lower income will not be able to purchase the food. Locally grown food also takes up much more space and resources because with mass produced food, you have an industry dedicated to maximizing output for least resources consumed, but local growers are only a team of people that won't have the ability to provide the amount of food required to sustain humanity. What's really needed is more regulation and inspection into the food industry to make sure they make food ethically and as cleanly as organic growers do.

7 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer