Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Food

angela,y

eating meals that you can finish instead of throwing everything away

hrafnhildurosk

also eat organic local food and if you don't finish your food you can eat the leftovers later, that way you're saving money and helping the environment.

rimcBOD

I agree with this statement because food can really affect a person’s carbon footprint. Eating too much meat can affect both yourself and the environment. It can cause health problems and I agree because the amount of food that is produced per year is too much for the environment. For example, the overproduced cows in the country is really bad for the environment because cows release a lot and is produced an extra amount of C02.

lauryne00

We can eat more vegetarian meals to reduce our meat consumption

Drewsuf

It would also be a good idea to grow your own vegetables

lialBOD

What I learned about my dietary choices was my carbon emissions are predominantly coming from the food I eat. I would have thought that food does not make up a large percentage of people's carbon emissions however my results proved my theory incorrect. I think that the waste from what I consume/what I throw away is the leading factor of the amount of Carbon that comes from the food section. To lower my Carbon footprint in this area, I can try to eat vegetarian friendly foods and buy foods that are locally sourced.

KehauTahiti

Composting is a good deal if you can't finish a meal instead of throwing it away. The process of composting is to put inside a barrel ( or something with the same size ) some organic food and vegetables. First of all, you need to bring some humid and dry vegetables inside the barrel in order to create an ecosystem. Many months later, the ecosystem that you created is able to receive some organic food. The final result is reached when the compost appears.

Maëlg

I think it's good to eat local, especially here in Tahiti where everything comes by boat. So we prefer local products like mangoes and bananas.

RowenaLaille

It's horrible to see the consumption of fast food increase to the point that it overtakes restaurants.  I don't understand how people can become addicted to junk food. Fast food is not healthy and meat is known in the world to be awful for the climate.  It's not logic that there are so many fast food restaurants in the world. React everyone !

FLucas

I think that food is something very important in our life because first of all food has an impact on our health and especially on the environment. In my opinion eating local is a good idea to improve our environment and the development of the economy. So, I agree that we should consume local products but especially pay attention to the quantities.

stellagcanada

I agree with the idea in the first post. Instead of putting more then you will consume on your plate start with something you KNOW you'll eat and once you finish go to get more. If you do have extra food, compost or store for leftovers. eating leftovers will help with overconsumption and composting will give back to the environment whether you're using it or the city is.

audreyt (canada)

I also agree with the original post, one of our biggest problems is how much food is wasted. Especially considering how much water and other resources are put into harvesting, making, and shipping food the stores is. Only take as much as you need or think you'll need, any extra food can be composted.

You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer