Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Food & Hunger

What did you learn about dietary choices from using the footprint calculator? Now imagine that you could translate what you learned into an effective societal policy on food- what would it be? And how would this policy effect the need to alleviate world hunger?

925 million people on earth do not have enough to eat according to the FAO [Food and Agricultural Organization]. That's almost 1 in 7 inhabitants of our planet!

Food & Hunger >

Resource Conservation Individually

London G. BOD

From London Gopalakrishnan From Bishop, O'dowd - Food habits and Meat
      I got a pretty low carbon footprint score for my state, BUT that is very much due to the family I was raised in and because I have some very lazy tendencies. I lost lots of score due to my food habits and how I was raised to eat. For some reason my body doesn't like to eat very much so I sit there eating 300 fewer daily calories than I should, but you do not need to starve yourself, and please don't. SO instead of not eating over 300 the required daily calories just be sure to watch the things you eat, like try to reduce how much pork and especially beef you eat. Remember that the more beef you eat the more cows they will kill and give birth to which leads to more global warming. Try to eat at local places to reduce the amount of vehicle travel distance. And look into some seafood or vegetarian recipes. Try to reduce the amount of meat in general if not for the animals but for the planet you live on. I recommend pasta, it's pretty quick, pretty easy and you can add lots of variation. And as an added bonus, it is much cheaper. A pound of pork or beef can cost an average of 4$ while a pound of spaghetti averages around 1.25$ per pound. So you'd save 4 dollars. AND on top of that, according to mayoclinic.org is not healthy to eat just meat every day. So to sum it up. You reduce your carbon footprint which helps the planet, you get healthier, and your wallet becomes that much happier. Plus, who doesn't love some mango or pear! SO why not try, how much could it really hurt!
(Side Note: I am not forcing anyone to do anything, this is a suggestion with ideas and statistics so this is 100% up to the reader to change whatever they want.)

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer