UW graduate students in good standing, whose academic programs do not substantially overlap with the SFLT Graduate Certificate, may apply for admission. Advanced proficiency in the language of the student's interest is highly recommended. Some second or foreign language
teaching or tutoring experience is also highly recommended. If you are not already a graduate student at UW, you cannot apply for the SFLT Graduate Certificate Program. Click here
for a listing of graduate programs at UW that are relevant to the teaching and learning of second and foreign languages.
The SFLT Graduate Certificate Program has rolling admissions, accepting applications in Fall,
Winter and Spring quarters.
- Choose a member of the core faculty to ask to be your SFLT Graduate Certificate Advisor. It
is best to work with someone with expertise in your language of specialization. If that is not
possible, you may choose a faculty member who works with a different language or in second
language studies, in general.
- Meet with your candidate SFLT Graduate Certificate Advisor to discuss your goals and
interests for the Certificate program. If the faculty member agrees, you may write application.
If the faculty member does not agree, find a different core faculty member.
- Once you have an advisor, prepare your application to the program, using the WebQ survey.
The application must include the following:
- Name and home department
- SFLT Graduate Certificate Advisor's name
- One-paragraph statement of purpose
- Proposed courses and timetable for completion
- Brief (1-3 sentence) description of the capstone project (this is tentative, and may
be changed, as appropriate, if your interests change
- A copy (unofficial) of your transcript, via email, to the Program Chair (Amy Ohta)
- Names and contact information of three references (name, title, professional
affiliation and contact information, including telephone, mail, and email
Start the WebQ Application Here
- Your application will be reviewed by the Steering Committee.
- You will be notified within one month of application of acceptance to the program, acceptance
with requested revisions, or non-acceptance to the program. If you have not heard within 4
weeks of submitting your application, please email the SFLT Graduate Certificate Director for
- Admitted students will need to enroll in the program and follow the steps listed on the Requirements page.