The University of Washington Virology Laboratory performs a full range of diagnostic testing including:
- Viral culture and antigen detection for most human pathogenic viruses, as well as detection of Clostridium toxin.
- Antiviral Sensitivity testing for CMV and HSV
- HIV Genotypic Resistance Testing
- HIV 1 viral load, HIV 1 DNA PCR, HIV 1 p24 antigen, HIV Culture
- Chlamydia trachomatis, culture, antigen detection (dFA), Nucleic Acid identification by Aptima Combo 2. Chlamydia trachomatis and Chlamydia pneumoniae ("TWAR") serologies. Chlamydia pneumoniae culture
- Molecular diagnostic testing includes polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assays for HBV, HCV, HIV, Adenovirus, HSV-1,HSV-2, CMV, EBV, HHV6, BK Virus, JC Virus, VZV, HHV8, as well as Enteroviruses and Parvovirus B19. Branch chain DNA (bDNA) assays are also available for HIV.
- Serological testing for:
- Exanthem-producing viruses (Rubella, Measles, Parvovirus B19)
- Hepatitis viruses A, B and C, and D
- Herpes group Viruses (CMV, HSV-1, HSV-2, EBV, HHV-8 and VZV)
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV-1 and HIV-2)
- Human T cell Leukemia Virus (HTLV-1 & HTLV -2)
- Pericarditis and CNS associated viruses
- Respiratory and Mumps viruses
The Virology Division provides direct clinical consultation services through the Virology physician on-call (206) 987-2131. A 24-hour service is available for processing emergency specimens on evenings, weekends and holidays with the prior approval of the Virology physician on-call, or UWMC Laboratory Medicine resident on-call. A call back charge is added to the specimen processing fee if a technologist must return to the laboratory. The Virology physician on-call, and Virology technologist on-call can be reached by pager at (206) 987-2131. The UWMC Laboratory Medicine resident can be reached by pager at (206) 598-6190. A nurse is on-call for organ transplant related issues, and is available via the Laboratory Medicine Resident on-call.
- Clinical Virology Laboratory (206) 987-2088
- Retrovirus Laboratory (206) 897-5210
- Viral Hepatitis Laboratory (206) 731-3461
- Molecular Virology Laboratory (206) 897-6656
During regular business hours, Reference Laboratory Services at (206) 685-6066 or (800) 713-5198 can be consulted with most questions concerning virology specimens.
Last updated: 12/20/12