The University of Washington Women’s Center is Hiring: NEW Leadership Institute Employment Opportunity!
The University of Washington Women’s Center is seeking a part-time student intern OR work-study eligible student to support our National Education for Women’s (N.E.W.) Leadership Institute. We hope to fill the position immediately and the student may continue working at the UW Women’s Center through the summer with the potential to stay on through the 2012-2013 school year as the NEW Leadership Program Coordinator.
NEW Leadership™ Puget Sound is a partner in the national award-winning program to educate and empower the next generation of women leaders. NEW Leadership™ teaches college women the value of civic engagement and encourages them to see themselves as empowered leaders who can effectively participate in politics and public policy. By offering political and civic leadership training to undergraduates, NEW Leadership strives to increase the number of women in the “leadership pipeline,” thereby enhancing the prospects for democratic representation, participation, and leadership in contemporary political and civic life. NEW Leadership Puget Sound is open to all female undergraduate students who attend four-year or two-year institutions and consists of an intensive six-day training institute held at the UW Women’s Center from June 11th – June 16th, 2012.
Duties and Responsibilities during the 2012 Institute, June 11 – 16, 2012:
- Assist the Program Coordinator in the facilitation and coordination of the NEW Leadership Institute for 34 students from two- and four- year institutions across the Puget Sound region
- Responsibilities include serving as the contact person for all speakers/trainers, NEW Leadership participants, and elected officials who are playing a role in the June 2012 NEW Leadership Institute (June 11th – June 16th on the University of Washington campus). To learn more about the Institute, please visit the following link: http://depts.washington.edu/newlead/
Responsibilities during the Summer & 2012-2013 School Year
- Compile surveys, data, demographic information, and budgets from NEW Leadership participants from the 2012 Institute for future grants and Women’s Center reports
- Partner with representatives from two-year and four-year colleges and universities in the Puget Sound region to recruit a diverse cohort of students for the June 2013 Institute
- Serve as primary contact person for students during the recruitment and application process for the June 2013 Institute
- Publicize the program to students, faculty, and administrators at schools throughout the Puget Sound region to increase application numbers
- Work with the NEW Leadership Advisory Board Chair and WC Director to determine acceptance and waitlist for applicants
- Develop the alumnae initiative by organizing events, drafting newsletters, and maintaining the database of past NEW Leadership participants
- Current University of Washington student with Work Study Eligibility OR Current University of Washington student
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong organization and attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Some experience and interest in program coordinating or project management
- Some evening and weekend availability (prior to and during the NEW Leadership 2012 Institute)
- Opportunity to enhance program development and coordination skills
- Work closely with group of professional women who support the work of the Women’s Center as well engage in civic and political leadership in the community
- Meet and network with women leaders in the public sector and develop leadership/management experience
- Satisfies summer internship requirements for most degree programs
- Please e-mail resume and cover letter to Senait Habte at email@example.com; CC Ellie Canter at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact Ellie Canter at email@example.com or by phone at (206) 685-1090.
The Center for Experiential Learning and Diversity is currently seeking an undergraduate student assistant to work 19 hours per week. Compensation is $10.00/hour. This position is Work-Study eligible.
The Center for Experiential Learning and Diversity connects UW undergraduates to exciting opportunities that enrich individual education and facilitate group learning. The Center helps students get involved in research with world-renowned faculty, encourages leadership through community participation and aids in the search and application for local, national and international scholarships.
- This student contributes to the success of the center by providing a welcoming atmosphere to
students, staff, faculty and the public.
- Responsibilities include assisting in daily operations which includes greeting individuals,
answering telephones, disseminating program information, directing visitors to EXPD staff and
assisting the center manager with projects and budget reporting.
- Other responsibilities: mail distribution, ordering and stocking supplies, photocopying,
filing, data entry in Excel and other UW Systems, word processing, preparing and assembling
materials for distribution, providing courier service to and from locations on campus and
assisting with special projects and events.
- Excellent for students who are already involved or interested in experiential learning.
- Valuable for students who want to gain professional working experience and/or learn about student services in higher education.
- Work with friendly staff in a supportive, team-oriented environment.
- Relatively flexible schedule.
Must enjoy working and interacting with a diverse student population
Excellent customer service / telephone skills and etiquette and attention to detail
Advanced proficiency with software such as Excel, WORD and Access
Able to follow directions and work well both as a member of a small team and independently
Creative problem solving skills, ability to balance a variety of duties for multiple programs
Additional Desired Skills:
- Bookkeeping or accounting
- Updating websites
How to Apply:
Please email a resume, cover letter, and contact information for two academic or work related
references to: Virginia Lupori, Manager, Center for Experiential Learning and Diversity via Word or
pdf attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Priority deadline for consideration is Friday March 9, 2012