PacTrans Seminar Series
PacTrans is proud to organize seminars throughout the academic year, in which transportation professionals from industry, government, and academia are invited to present research relevant to the safety and sustainability mission of the consortium. The goal of these seminars is to generate discussions of ongoing research between transportation professionals and researchers.
The following seminar is scheduled for winter 2014:
- Seminar presentation by Dr. Ruth Steiner, Professor and Director for the Center for Health and Built Enviornment in the Department of Urban and Regional Planning at the University of Florida [Seminar is scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 5th, 10:15 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. in HUB 334 on the UW Seattle Campus.]
In Fall 2013, the following seminar was held:
- “What is the Level of Volatility in Instantaneous Driving Decisions?” presented by Dr. Asad J. Khattak, the Beaman Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering and Director of Safety Programs-Center for Transportation Research at the Univesity of Tennessee, Knoxville. [Seminar took place Wednesday, Nov. 13th, 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. in HUB 334.]
During the 2012-13 academic year, the following three seminars were held:
- “Calibration of Micro-Simulation Models Using ITS Data: Lessons Learned” presented by Dr. Laurence R. Rilett, Distinguished Professor of Civil Engineering and the inaugural holder of the Keith W. Klaasmeyer Chair in Engineering and Technology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Director of the UNL Mid-America Transportation Center.
- “Electric Vehicles and Life Cycle Assessment” presented by Dr. Chris T. Hendrickson, the Duquesne Light Company University Professor of Engineering and Co-Director of the Green Design Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. [In case you missed it, check out the link to the YouTube recording of Hendrickson’s talk here.]
- “Sustainable Mobility, Place-making, and Economic Competitiveness: Striking a Balance” presented by Dr. Robert Cervero, the Carmel P. Friesen Chair of Urban Studies and Professor of City and Regional Planning at the University of California, Berkeley, and Director of the Institute of Urban and Regional Development (IURD) and Director of the University of California Transportation Center (UCTC).