UCLA PREP is a non-residential program designed to provide premedical and pre-dental students from disadvantaged backgrounds with a means of strengthening their ability and readiness to study medicine or dentistry. As a result of full participation in UCLA PREP, participants should have enhanced their chances of being accepted to medical or dental school and succeeding once there.
- Group and individualized medical/dental application preparation sessions
- Problem-based learning
- Learning Skills
- MCAT/DAT preparation workshops
- Shadowing experience
- Volunteer/service opportunities
- Interview Skills workshop and Mock MMI’s.
- Career Guidance and personal development
- Exploration to other Health Sciences field/career
- Networking opportunities with UCLA PREP alumni, Medical and Dental students, & UCLA Faculty & staff
Students are eligible for UCLA PREP as long as they have not previously applied to medical and/or dental school and are not applying to medical or dental school in 2018. We accept community college, out-of-state and post-baccalaureate students. Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Come from an educationally or economically disadvantaged background.
- Applicants must be a U.S citizen or hold a permanent resident visa, or documentation of approved eligibility for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) in the State of California
- Minimum 2.5 science GPA for freshmen and sophomores
- Minimum 2.8 science GPA for juniors and seniors
- One year of biology or chemistry completed by the
beginning of the program
- Semester System: 2 courses
- Quarter System: 3 courses
- Two (2) letters of recommendation, one from a science professor and one from a counselor/premedical advisor or employer/internship recommending participation in the PREP program
- Demonstrated interest in addressing issues affecting underserved populations in healthcare.
- Compelling personal statement.
How to Apply:
STEP 1:COMPLETE AN ONLINE APPLICATION
All documents below needs to be uploaded through the online application portal (PDF COPY REQUIRED)
- Copy of your financial aid award letter from your undergraduate institution for the current year.
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (PDF Form)
- Personal Essay of 2-3 pages describing your personal, family and community background; your motivation for a medical career; what you have done to develop your interest and knowledge of modern medicine; and what you hope to accomplish by participation in UCLA PREP
Letter of Recommendation: Letter writers will receive an e-mail (the letter writers email address that the applicant inputed in their application) granting them access and instructions on how to upload their letters online.
- Two letters of recommendation,
one from a science professor (math, biology, chemistry and other science
course) and one from a premedical advisor or employer.
- The applicant will receive an auto generated email confirmation whenever an LOR has been submitted in their behalf by their writers.
- It is the applicants responsibility to follow-up with their letter writers for a timely submission of their letter of recommendations.
For more information, please visit our website below:
PREP WEBSITE: https://medschool.ucla.edu/current-ucla-prep
Please send all inquiries to: UCLAPREP@mednet.ucla.edu