Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Open Forum

Want to dicuss an ISCFC-related topic that you don't see listed yet? Here is your page for that!

The ISCFC team will then choose some of these student-envisioned discussions to feature on their own discussion page.

Open Forum >

Driving or Flying?

liuh5469

From doing the carbon footprint calculator I’ve found that my flight across the country released a huge amount of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. At first I thought that flying is just a bad option for traveling but then I realized that driving the same distance probably is even worse. Anyone know if it would be better for the environment to drive instead of fly?

zobaku

I, too, was also very disappointed to see just how much travel contributes to my carbon footprint. Now, whether driving or flying is better generally depends on the  circumstance. For example, the less people on a plane, the less greenhouse gases are produced per person. However, I did find an article that said this; “a study by the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute states the energy intensity of car transportation is on average 57% higher than air transports...because they consume more energy to transport the same amount of passengers.” But this also depends on the type of car and the amount of people in it.

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer