Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Environmental Justice (new topic, Feb 2021!)

Can we solve the climate crisis without confronting global inequities?

A recent study in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA found that white residents in the USA produce more climate pollution than black or hispanic residents, but black and hispanic people are exposed to more air pollution.

And that is just the USA! Think about the global inequities in the "haves" and the "have nots".

And how are we going to lift people out of poverty without making the climate crisis even worse?

If you are a resident in a wealthy country, is it your responsibility to address both problems at once? And what would that look like in terms of national and international policy?

Environmental Justice >

Who caused climate change?

safetytorch2

Maybe you should think about if the people caused it themselve or could it be our system?
Is capitalism really the solution or must we overthrow it?

Natalie.gill

I think it was mostly a group effort. Not just one person could cause this. You could ask what generation caused climate change, but even that would have an inaccurate answer. If you were asking which species, then yes, definitely humans are the main cause of this global temperature rise. But not just one if us could be the cause for this whole thing.

Chunky.p

Humans and the industrialization of the world contributed. However, not all people advanced climate change the same amount. People in poor countries have less resources so they don’t use as much. Where I’m from, the USA, it is rich so a lot of fossil fuels can be bought and burnt.

zeke-Die

Humans are the initial starters of climate change. During the industrial revaluation and the invention of combustion engines and the industrialization of the whole world. Together we got our self in to this mess and only together we can get our selfs out.

Tegwynh

As time goes on the changing climate is getting worse and worse, and if the majority of the population doesn’t start lowering their carbon footprints it will continue to rise and these mistakes that humans have made time and time again could be leading us in to the next extinction

albluncor

Yes, humans are the ones responsible. Before the industrialization humans and nature lived in balance.
But now it is a disaster. We are destroying our planet little by little. Some people doesn't realize that climate change is a emergency or they think this problem doesn't concern them. They probably forget planet gives life and that is a miracle.

milm

What caused climate change is manufacturing and industry produce emissions. It's mostly from burning fossil fuels to produce energy for making things like cement, iron, steel, electronics, plastics, clothes and other goods. Another cause of climate change is generating power. Generating electricity and heat by burning fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas causes a large chunk of global emissions. Most electricity is still produced from fossil fuels. Another cause of climate change is cutting down forests to create farms or pastures, or for other reasons, causes emissions, since trees, when they are cut, release the carbon they have been storing. Since forests absorb carbon dioxide, destroying them also limits nature’s ability to keep emissions out of the atmosphere.

sources: https://www.un.org/en/climatechange/cli … -pollution
https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopme … roduction/
https://www.un.org/en/observances/forests-and-trees-day

Fatimah

Well.. when I give it some thought, I end coming to the conclusion that perhaps humans are the one to blame for this problem. Humans and nature coexisted in a more of peaceful life before industrialization, but this no longer seems to be the case. Our Earth is being gradually destroyed by us. It also seems like some people fail to realize the urgency of the climate change crisis.  They undoubtedly overlook the point of how the earth creates life and we should work better to protect it knowing the cause of the climate change crisis is being created by us and our activities that are causing a high rate of greenhouse gasses that later impact the climate change. ( Although I do not support the "overthrow" part..that just causes more conflicts)

Maeve1

I completely agree with all your points, but personally I think corporations and our system caused climate change but then of course systems and corporations are made up of millions of people. Corporations create so much pollution through(if they produce a product) the production, packaging and processes but someone has to say yes to these disruptive processes. and then of course the system endorses what the corporations do or at least do not stop it.

olivecove

I think that most people in the world do things that contribute to climate change, even if they aren't aware of it. Definitely some more than others. Some of the main groups of people contributing to climate change probably industries. The meat industry, dairy industry, and fast fashions industries contribute to climate change immensely. Mostly the entire human race is to blame and we need to all work together to reverse it.

N Hutchison

Who caused climate change shouldn't a question of who, but whom. The answer, you, me, everyone. One of the easiest things to do to reduce your impact on the climate is to reduce your consumption of meat especially beef, which is very carbon intensive by itself not to mention the emission from a single head of cattle produces upwards of 500 litres of methane which is a greenhouse gas 26 times more potent than carbon dioxide. Now multiply that by the number of cattle reared just for consumption in the U.S. which is the equivalent of 3.1 gigatons of carbon dioxide. All of that just produced by one country. What happens when the rest of the world decides to consume the same amount of beef as the U.S. Then what happens?

BrianaF

humans are the cause to climate change and no one is doing anything to help it.

12 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer