Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Sustainable City

Here's your chance not just to be the mayor, but the original city planner as well! Imagine a medium sized city that would be developed with modern, low carbon transportation in mind, and other strategies to reduce the average citizens' carbon footprints.

What would that city look like? Would that make you more likely to want to live there?

Sustainable City >

More public transportation

Juen

I think that a way to decrease the emission of CO2 in big cities is to increase public transportation, expecially the electric ones like trams, trains or trolleybusses.

inot flam

juen i think we can also use bikes, bikes are cheap and really helpfull, everybody can afford a bike and so everyone don't have to pay for tickets for tram, train, ecc

Charlie915

I think another way of facing this problem would be walkable cities. This solution is the idea of people walking or biking rather than driving. This solution is free to anyone and could actually save you money. We would need to make biggger and more side walks for these people. This would combat climate change a ton.

Joy Rothberg

Various cities indeed have aimed to limit and reduce their carbon emissions by ~40% by the year 2050. Without a doubt, we understand that densely populated areas rely heavily on transportation, as commuting is quite frequent when all you see from every corner of your eye are buildings and skyscrapers. With this being said, we need to capture carbon from the air with means of planting enough trees to in the slightest way absorb the carbon emitted into the atmosphere.

We can see many streets in cities, but in contrast to the number of walkable streets, it is unbalanced in ratio. As Charlie915 stated above, we need to expand sidewalks to combat climate change and reduce these cities' carbon emissions.

Incorporating also, more reusable products and things being sold in the cities, will and can help in ways to reduce waste while encouraging recycling.

Maryam Aldayyeni

I agree with this claim, as we have mentioned before, many pollution and other gases have been emitted in the air causing pollution which would soon take over the wildlife. Without this wildlife we would be stripped of a major amount of food. As Joy has mentioned above, we need to look at the amount of carbon emitted into the air, and we should regulate the amount of transportation to a low digit. If we continue to take transportation through cars that need gas or any vehicle, then for sure our carbon footprint will rise and reach tremendous heights. We need to be more self-aware and responsible towards our Earth. We only have one of it.

camilamg

I agree, increasing public transportation would decrease the emissions of CO2. And like inot flam and Charlie915 said earlier, increasing the number of people who bike or walk instead of driving or riding public transportation could help decrease the emissions of CO2. Making cities safer to walk would be a major help as well, according to the World Health Organization, 270,000 pedestrians are killed every year.

Artem

I agree, everyone having their own cars causes so much unnecessary pollution. If public transport took everyone where they needed to go to so much time, energy, and money would be saved by everyone involved. It would also go towards saving the planet.

Yuliya

I completely agree. Especially electric transportation to reduce greenhouse gas emmisions from cars and other vehicles.

Zoe23

In Oslo, infrastructure for cyclists is prioritized to the point that bike routes will often be plowed and salted before car roads. By making it easier for individuals to cycle, more people will naturally be drawn to it. Obviously this model wouldn't necessarily work everywhere in the world (especially in areas with less population density) but it's something to consider. NotJustBikes on Youtube has a good video on this topic. Unfortunately, the automotive industry is HUGE and it is their best interest to build and maintain car dependency.

Vananthony

I agree if cities made public transportations by electric powered vehicles mandatory the carbon emissions would drastically be lowered.

Gurung

I agree because not only will this reduce carbon emissions but it will also help society globally depending on the design of the public transportation trains for fuel efficiency.

11 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer