Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

new clothes

Violet7777

I feel like everyone wants to but brand new clothes even though that is very harmful to the environment because its fast fashion. Fast fashion creates many fashion fuels and the clothes will most likely be thrown away later. If you want clothes that you don't actually need you should get something second hand. Not only would it be for a good deal it is so much better for the environment!

Beatrice Stasiuk

I agree with this, fast fashion has a very big and negative impact on the climate. These big brands that contribute to fast fashion tend to use the cheapest materials available in order to offer low prices, this means that the items you purchase wont be great quality or last long. People get bored of the new fashion trends quickly and buy new clothes as soon as they decide that they no longer want the older ones. Shopping at thrift stores is a great alternative as you mentioned because you will be able to get your clothes for good deals, just like these big brands are offering, but it is also way better for the environment. Plus you can develop your own unique style.  Another great way to reduce waste is to sew your own clothing through repurposing something old or purchasing ethically sourced environmentally friendly material!

arwvn

I agree fast fashion contributes heavily to climate change. Micro-trends also contibute to the funding of the fast fashion industry. I think that people who can't afford anything else that isn't fast fashion are the only ones that should be buying from these stores. We need to start demanding that fast fashion brands be held accountable and also that peopl making the clothes get higher wages.

mayaq

I agree with everyone here, these points are really good. I think that before buying clothes, you should try to get ethically sourced ones, but there is one counter argument that really resonates with me. Some people have a hard time finding clothes that fit them at thrift stores and are unable to make their own. Some of these fast fashion brands have pretty extensive sizing and options, which makes them more appealing. I don’t think this justifies the environmental impact or the effects on the workers, but it is something to consider, and in the future hopefully there are extensive sizing choices at affordable prices and the clothes are made ethically and as naturally as possible. That being said, I do love thrifting and think it’s a great option that is *usually* affordable, and it’s actually quite likely to find trendy clothes, as trends come in and out of style.

Izzy Debrosky

Between wants and needs there is a thin line dividing them. People everyday can say they “need” a new shirt, they “want” the newest video game, but do they really? Of course we need, food, water, some clothes on our body, but needing the newest iPhone, clothes, and video game is a stretch. Buying second-hand can decrease the amount of money used on all these new things. Trading in your iPhone for a new one can reduce the price significantly. Buying within the clearance section, all these ways can reduce the amount of money you are spending on your needs and wants.

Lillyj

I totally agree with what everyone’s been saying but sometimes its not necessarily a choice between thrifting and going to a consignment store is that not all the clothes at a thrift store will fit everyone for example they might fit someone’s waist but be to short in the legs or visa versa. The point im trying to make is that some people would fine better fitting clothes at a consignment store rather than just going thrifting.

Olivia Johns

I agree with the points that everyone has made here. Although many people think they can only find good clothes when buying them new, you can actually find lots of good things at consignment and thrift stores. Not only can this save you money, but it can also save a lot of carbon emissions from being produced. Thrift shopping is good for the environment because it keeps clothes out of landfills, reduces carbon and chemical pollution caused by clothing production, save resources, and lowers water consumption. So, with all these things that thrift shopping can help, it’s an easy decision to start thrifting more clothes not will you still be getting nice clothes, but you are also helping the environment.

7 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer