Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Sustainable City

Here's your chance not just to be the mayor, but the original city planner as well! Imagine a medium sized city that would be developed with modern, low carbon transportation in mind, and other strategies to reduce the average citizens' carbon footprints.

What would that city look like? Would that make you more likely to want to live there?

Sustainable City >

Are solar panels worth it?

Electro

Cannot store energy, costly to make, no energy at night, costs a lot of resources and makes a lot of pollution when creating solar panels, takes up lots of space.

ARE THEY EVEN WORTH IT WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE LOVE THEM SO MUCH???

i do not get it. pls comment to tell me..

Sophie_autumn

The environment is significantly assisted by solar panels. To create electricity you need to burn coal. There are many people who require electricity, not just one, and coal is a non-renewable resource on Earth. We need coal for many purposes, yet burning all that coal might make it vanish. A fantastic method to keep the coal would be to install solar panels. Solar panels cut back on harmful pollutants including sulfur oxides, nitrogen oxides, and pollutants as well as greenhouse gas emissions such as CO2. Despite the fact that they cost a lot to produce, unlike electricity, they are inexpensive to maintain.

Electro

Although it might be worth it for homeowners, but in places with tall apartment buildings like Taiwan, how are we supposed to install solar panels that can power the entire building?

Another question: are solar farms worth it? I've read that solar panels breaks after 10 ~ 15 years. It would be hard to maintain these farms.

6170-file.jpeg

Sophie_autumn

They are actually already doing the solar panels on buildings thing in Alaska. They put it in the side of the building. Other places but it them all on the top of the building. It might be hard for it to get the power for the whole building but they get 250 to 400 watts per hour so it would last.

Yes solar farms are also worth it. They can be used to plant crops and other plants. I believe It’s called agrovoltaics.

Sophie_autumn

Here is an example of the solar panel buildings that they are making.

3fs46ig0lvhx.jpg

MaxBeschastnov

I would call solar panels worth it. I think this because they produce lots of energy after they are built, and don't dump a lot of energy away, unlike coal plants that make energy but also warm up lots of air exiting the power plant.

Greatficus

I believe that solar panels are definitely worth it. It may be hard to put solar panels on top of buildings, but there are other places that solar panels could be built. In my states capital, there are solar panels on sides of highways. They are able to power most of the city!

7 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer