Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

Light bulbs

Ellenma

I have realized that most light bulbs in homes of Taiwan are fluorescent light bulbs. Fluorescent light bulbs are not expensive or cheap. They tend to last longer than a incandescent light bulb but as half the life span of a LED light bulb. LED light bulbs last longer and uses less energy to produce stronger light which indicates that it is better for the environment. LED light bulbs converts 95% of their energy into light and only 5% is wasted as heat. So to my conclusion, People should use LED light bulbs more because it is better for the environment. Do you guys agree?

Fenomarama

I agree with you. A lot of light bulbs we use here in American Samoa are fluorescent light bulbs as well. I wasn't aware of the environmental impacts that they had until I took this survey. Seeing as how LED light bulbs are more environmentally friendly than fluorescent, I believe we should start using these more.

mgwhitby22

I agree, i think here in america they are trying to use more LED lights beacsue they they use less carbon dioxcide then a incandecent light bulb. I like how you also stated what we can do to try to help and said how much amount of energy taht they convert.

MichaelaB278

I agree, my family switched to fluorescent and few years ago, maybe I should talk to them about maybe switching again but to LED’s this time.  I actually didn’t know the different percentages, interesting.›

SimonBish

I agree, I didn’t know how much of an impact light bulbs can have on climate change, but after doing this carbon footprint project in science, i found out that my house has a ton of incandescent light bulbs, which could be easily changed to a more efficient kind like LED or even fluorescent. I think if everyone could come together to change this it could be super beneficial to our planet. Most places are changing their ways and transferring over to LED’s, even places in my town are trying to switch over to stop using less efficient light bulbs.

Rowan_Stewart

YES! I totally agree. LED lights have so many benefits; they last longer, they are more durable, they produce as good as or better light, and THEY ARE BETTER FOR THE ENVIROMENT.
In todays age, it is so important for our population to reduce their carbon emissions in any way possible. An easy, and relatively cheap way to do this, is to invest in LED lights.
In a recent science project, I realized that my house is about half using LED lights and half using incandesant light bulbs. From what I know about LED lights, I will encourage my parents to replace the old incandesant lights with LED when the time comes!

Olivia Johns

I definitely agree with you, when my family switched to using LED lights, I noticed that they were brighter and lasted longer than the lightbulbs we used before. I also noticed that they didn’t get as hot as the old lightbulbs when they were left on for a long time. After a bit of research, I found out that LED lighting is better for the environment and is more cost and energy-efficient. Compared to fluorescent bulbs, LED lights are up to 80% more efficient. After learning this I can easily tell how much better these lightbulbs are for the environment, and they could significantly lower peoples carbon footprints.

Lillyj

I completely agree with everything that’s been said and I’ve been using LED lights in my house for awhile but we still have some incandescent lights and you can definitely see the difference the LED lights seem to be much brighter and last longer until they burn out.

Fiokers

I agree. Most of the light bulbs in my house are incandscent, and they are very inefficient. They use a lot of electricity waste a lot of energy as heat. We replace them with LEDs, and they are way better. Brighter, cooler, more efficient, etc. It's just that our bulbs don't die fast enough for us to have many LEDs. We aren't going to replace a working bulb, but the efficient nature of LEDs makes them a very quick and easy way to cut down on carbon footprint

TallulahM

I totally agree with this. Most light in my house are LEDS after older Incandescent lightbulbs have died off. Over time I have realized that LED lightbulbs are the most energy efficient, plus they are also cost efficient. LEDs are almost more than 60% more effective the any other lightbulbs. Not only this but they also don’t contain any toxic elements, unlike many lights that usually contain chemicals such as mercury which is extremely hazardous to some people. LEDs also are the best light bulb to recycle and reuse. Meanwhile some lights need special handling in order to be taken and disposed off. Another reason why LEDs are the better option is because they last around 50,000 hours or about 10 years, this is ten times longer than both incandescent and fluorescent lightbulbs. So in the end I totally agree with everyone’s statements about LEDs.

10 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer