Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Ocean Acidification

In addition to the famous impacts of atmospheric carbon on global warming, there is an equally worrisome effect of carbon dioxide on the oceans: ocean acidification (or OA for short). Here at I2SEA we have a series of resources about OA, including Our Acidifying Ocean, which is an introductory activity and virtual lab (note: now mobile compatible!).

A student suggested that we start a conversation topic about OA, and here it is! Have you heard about Ocean Acidification? If so, are you worried about it? How do you think we can best raise awareness about it among your fellow students and the general public? Have you seen particularly good links or films about OA that you would like to share? What are you doing to address the problem?

Ocean Acidification >

Ocean Acidification

Alina T

Ocean acidification is the reduction in the pH of the Earth’s ocean. Its main cause is the absorption of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Ocean acidification is sometimes called "osteoporosis of the sea", because it can create conditions that eat away at the minerals used by oysters, clams, lobsters, shrimps, coral reef, and other marine life to build their shells and skeletons. One way to prevent ocean acidification is by reducing your carbon footprint, meaning being conscious of your energy consumption. Some ways you can do this is by driving less, switching to fluorescent light bulbs, staying away from plastic, composting your food waste and eating locally. All of these examples release less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which means less CO2 in the ocean.

coldironz

More people need to be aware of Ocean Acidification. It's occurring due to the same problem and yet the media only talks about climate change. This could heavily affect everyone around the world. Ocean acidification will lead to the extinction of many aquatic species and might destroy come economies that rely on fishing/boating to make a living. This problem deserves the same attention.

Jasmine27

I completely agree with what was said here, I just wanted to add to the connection between carbon dioxide in the atmosphere with CO2 in the ocean. The ocean absorbs CO2 because the CO2 dissolves in the ocean.

Nora Giddings

Ocean acidification is a huge problem in todays world. We are burning so much fossil fuel and creating so much carbon dioxide and so much of that is going into our ocean. This raises the acidity of the ocean causing marine life to be difficult. Many animals with shells will slowly start to dissolve making them smaller and smaller in each generation. This will create a problem for larger predators to find food and eventually a problem for about 1 in 7 of the humans on this plant that rely on sea food as the main part of their diet. The raising acidity in the oceans will also start to kill coral, shelter from predators for so many sea creatures.

cmwhitby

I agree, and I think we can all reduce our carbon footprint by a bit. so we shoud ACT NOW

5 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer