Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

Benefits of Compost

Daniel0029

Everyone knows that throwing away food is not the smartest choice, especially when you want to have a lower carbon footprint. Composting is the best way to get rid of food naturally so it benefits your carbon footprint and the environment around you.  According to greenbiz.com only 27% of American have some form of composting. That’s 73% of Americans that contribute to more greenhouse gas and a higher climate. epa.gov states that "Enriches soil, helping retain moisture and suppress plant diseases and pests". This helps us understand more that compost is super beneficial toward our planet and to us!

Gabriella D

Yes i agree and I hope sometime soon we can find ways to make composting accessible to all people.

Rowan_Stewart

I agree with your ideas on this point. Composting is crucial in our planet reducing carbon emissions.
After reading your post, I took some time to do my own research. From this, I learned that every pound of food thrown away results in 3.8 pounds of greenhouse gas emissions. Further, a study found Thant composting organic waste versus landfilling can reduce the carbon emissions by more than 50%!
Personally, I think that I am very good about composting. My family and I have a compost bucket, which we use to fuel our garden, and reduce our waste. My school, CHRHS, also has a compost bucket which ends up in our larger compost pile. This compost is both sold to our communities local businesses, and used in our school garden.
Although it is great that I have easy access to compost, I cannot stress how important it is to give everyone access to this tool. A great way to do this would be to have other schools follow in our lead, of educating their students about the importance of compost and giving them the opportunity to get hands on experience.

Chase.maguire

I agree, composting is one of the best ways to reduce your footprint.  Composting not only reduces your emissions, but also creates healthier soil for for gardening.  At my high school we compost all of our waste, as well as the middle and elementary school.  We are taught how to compost and the importantes of it in our science classes freshman year.  We also have opportunities to talk with the elementary students about why food waste is bad.  We sell the compost to our communities and use it at our school to help the soil at our campus.  Composting is a great way to help lower your emissions, and have healthier soil.

Olivia Johns

I agree that compost does have many benefits, and it definitely favored over throwing food away. When you just throw food away, it ends up in landfills and breaks down in a way that can create greenhouse gases, including methane. If everyone started composting, their carbon footprint could significantly go down since composting is an effective way to sequester carbon, storing it in the soil instead of releasing it to the air.

5 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer