Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Is it really necessary?

Angelwilliams

As humans, we often say "I need that!" or "I have to get that!", but have you ever stopped to think if you REALLY need it?

Almost every year IPhone comes out with a new model, and many people are quick to replace their old phones that they have only had for a few years. This can be a huge problem because electronic devices are made to resist decompostion. It could take 1 million just simply for the glass to decompose. These devices make up for 70% of our overall toxic waste.

Next time you are thinking of buying a new phone, think to yourself, "How will this affect the environment."

N Hutchison

People in general, tend to be rather impulsive when it comes to making purchases. Whether it concerns food, or clothes or any want or need. We, in the western world tend to be rather frivolous when it comes to spending, like buying a new phone when your current one works fine. Or, on clothing, people don't stop to think, "do I really need this $500 pair of shoes I only will wear once?" Not only does the climate take a blow from frivolities such as the aforementioned, the wallet does as well. Just stopping and thinking whether or not they need the newest tech or designer clothing or that soda makes a difference.

ZappyDay

I agree with you, if the human was reasonable, we would live in better life's conditions. Unfortunetly, the human always wants more, we can't want to see how lucky we are. Also, Fashion is a business, this make buying. Even if we don't need it. But it's the same for everything. If we like to read, we would buy more books, if we like to draw, we always would buy more pencils and supplies. I can give you lot's of exemples like that. We just need to think more with our head and not with our heart. At least on this subject. At least on this subject. It's not 'cause things aren't expensive that they don't pollute. At us to change things, to them change together.

nur1

I totally agree with you because I have the same problem. I want some shoes, but I already got ones before r for another thing. I rather buy some new clothes that helping others ( give money...)

nur1

I totally agree with you because I have the same problem. I want some shoes, but I already got ones before r for another thing. I rather buy some new clothes that helping others ( give money to help africans for examples)

Lillyj

I completely agree and think that people should start to think about what they really need and once in a while should splurge and get something they want. As humans we will always have those impulsive thoughts to just go out and buy something that we see appealing but we should start to look at want it really is and will it still be appalling to use a year time and if you don't know then you should wait a while and if you still really like then you should buy it. And when you look at the new iPhones that come out every year and your looking to up grade you don't always have to buy the newest phone the only think that really changes is that the camera is slightly better or the battery is slightly better but other than that no one really needs the newest one other than just to say they have it. And the same could be said about clothing.

Naomi.fisher-barrett

I 100% agree with all of these statements. Often times we see a trend on social media or in school, and convince ourselves we need to have that. Weather it’s a new piece of technology, clothing, or some sort of gadget, we tend to not think about the repercussions and just spend. But, if we thought before we bought about how these purchases are really effecting our environment, I don't think we would make half of the purchases we do. Now with this extra money you have, because you didn’t waste your money on something that is killing our planet, why not put it to good use. A great way to spend some extra cash is donate it. Give is to charity or donate it to some climate petition or act! Now you know your money will be used to help, not to kill.

Violet M

Unfortunately, society and corporate institutions have taken advantage of humanity’s impulsivity. They cater to us with “new ideas” and “improved products,” when in reality, these products are barely better than the last. I really enjoy the iPhone example, especially in this case. Apple creates ads that make their “evolved” technology seem faster, sleeker, and of better quality. This intrigues viewers, and from the tactics used by the company, decide that they “need” a new device. The increase in demand increases production, and therefore emits elevated levels of carbon and other air pollutions. It is in human nature to have such impulsivity, but it is the fault of companies to take advantage of us for their own gain.

Maggie13

I’ve always gotten hand-me-down phones from my parents. Every 3 or so years they get a new phone and when they do they pass their old one down to me. Because of this, I have a big view of how often phone companies release phones. A year or two ago I got my moms old IPhone 8, that she got a few years before that. Approximately 4 years ago my mom got the iPhone 8, when it was brand new. 4 years later and they’re on the iPhone 14, probably working on the 15. It’s just crazy to think of how fast they create new generations so they continue to be relevant. They also do things like changing the headphone jack, or changing the charging port. So then, you have to buy even more from them when you get a new phone. These companies take what’s popular, and use it to make more money and to get people to buy more stuff.

9 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer