Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Corporate responsibility (new topic, Sep 2021!)

How much responsibility do corporations have for the climate crisis and for stepping up with solutions?

Here at the ISCFC we are committed to promoting personal, community, national and planetary solutions to reduce our environmental impacts and boldly confront the climate crisis. But as individuals, we can feel powerless when there are huge corporations -such as the fossil fuel industry and factory farms– that are disproportionately responsible for carbon emissions of the past and the present.

What should we do about this? Do you agree that corporations should do more? And if so, what does that mean exactly? How do we persuade or impel polluting industries to change their ways?

Corporate responsibility >

Corporate Justice

Hudson B.

Everyone knows how Corporations are the ones who make the majority of the world products and therefore cause the most pollution. This can be a major problem since many of these corporations refuse to acknowledge their pollution and continue to make the problem worse. The best way to solve this problem is too make these companies take responsibility for the actions through a multitude of ways. We should create laws that prevent companies from creating a certain amount of waste and pollution. We should also make it so that companies are accountable for any injustice or inhumane actions.  Overall we should stop big corporations from polluting and destroying our Earth.

vivi.delbo

I agree,but in addition to creating lawsand effective controls, you could also incentivize company to use renewable energy or reuse products and invest in moder machinery.

arwvn

I agree large coporations need to be held more responsible then avrage citizens but individuals should also do their part to help climate change. Over all nothing will change if coporations don't

Jasper H

I agree and it would be such a great idea to get a company or even start your own company and try to help cities in becoming less polluted. I just think it would be hard to get in contact with these cities and also the big companies might not even want to talk to you and they don’t have to if they don’t want to. I think its a great idea but hard to accomplish and a way you can try to help is to start a program in your area and get as many people as you can to try to fix the way we are using our materials so that we don’t waste materials and have those materials sustainable so that they don’t hurt the earth as much. I think this is a great idea and you should do everything you can to fix the way our cities are polluting those big areas and help changes he world.

Gabriella D

The thing about that is the owners of those companies don't want that because it means less money for them. We need laws and policies to be put in place. I’m not saying it will stop everyone but it will at least stop some people or punish those who get caught. If we all make small changes in our daily lives that’s great but i think it will be far more effective for climate fighters and politicians to tackle big companies first to show that they want to do something big and they aren’t turning a blind eye to all the injustices these big companies have been allowed to commit in the past.

MilesGupta

The problem with getting legislation passed is that politicians often have their campaigns funded by large corporations and in turn agree not to pass legislation that harms these corporations profits in hoping they will get their next campaign funded by them as-well. This is what makes the US government system so corrupt as it is practically run by large corporations. What is to now be understood is that voting for a democratic or republican candidate just empowers these large corporations and therefore if enough votes can be piled up for a independent candidate these large corporations will have less of a hold on the US government. This doesn’t just apply to the United States though. What we can do to disempower these corporations is to not financially support them. For example, instead of using gas, one could by an electric car, instead of receiving power from oil companies, set up solar panels on your home. Although these are expensive measures, even something as small as choosing a product with environmentally friendly packaging helps.

WalterTheWalnut

I agree with the user “MilesGupta”, however I believe that their reasoning is not totally accurate. I feel that if we as the population were able to bring an environmental bill to our respective governments that limited corporate emissions by law we would be able to achieve a much lower carbon footprint. I understand that the logistics would be difficult to bring to life, yet if we could stop blaming specific political parties and started committing to a bill that would achieve the same goal regardless of the political affiliations of the company, president (or Prime minster for our international friends), or we the people, we could help our planet and ourselves.

MilesGupta

Agreeing with the majority of the post prior, the only part I disagree with is that of not focusing blame on political parties. Agreeing that focusing blame on specific political parties is not progressive, what I intended by my previous post, was to criticize the governmental system in a larger span, including every MAJOR political party, as these are the most likely to be funded by large corporations. What I believe the user above misunderstood, is that I was not trying to focus blame on democrats or republicans, but instead the system in general. Sorry for the confusion.

Ethan6809

To add onto the posts before this, I do believe that corporations are major contributors to the climate crises and that in order to make sure that these corporations do not engage in practices harmful to the environment there needs to be legislation passed that would legitimately punish corporations because as of right now, the EPA in the United States does little to nothing to actually stop environmental damage caused by companies. The largest issue that comes with passing such legislation is that no matter the side you are on I.e. political party, there is a large chance that the elected officials representing you are funded by coal, oil, mining, and other destructive industries. That is why I believe that before we begin trying to pass legislation on the topic of climate change, there needs to be an ban on corporate lobbying to ensure that elected officials constituents are being heard, not corporations.

Violet M

I agree with both “MilesGupta” and “WalterTheWalnut.” It is the fault of our systems as a whole, not a specific set of political parties. However, I do not quite understand why climate action must be political, if it is in the interest of everyone? Why are companies and politicians more interested in wealth than saving the Earth? We should be able to rise together as a society to fight climate change, not combat the greed of world leaders. As children, we should not have to advocate for the safety of our generation, for they should be making active choices to protect us. I understand how companies affect the political systems, corruption, etc, but why has their power stolen their humanity? And is there hope for the future, when legislation struggles to be past, and leaders cannot hear the voices of their people, over their own gluttony?

10 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer