Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

Cafeterias

olivecove

I think that a step in order to create a sustainable school environment is changing our schools cafeterias. Things like not serving individually wrapped produce as well as serving less low quality meat and processed foods are some things that could make cafeterias more sustainable. Also, less disposable utensils, plates, and lunch trays although that may be a bit more difficult for the school boards to do. Some of these things are easily changed and we need to discuss these issues with our school cafeterias.

ennwhitby

But it won't be economical

wawhitby

I think cafeterias should feed less prepackeged food

plpwhitby

Yes, and they should use more sustainable packaging like waste free containers and cut out plastics

ennwhitby

But what if the schools can't afford to have the more enviromental choices. Some schools are at extreme risk of closing, leaving many children to have to make a sudden transfer to another school, if the gov doesnt have enough funding, and these eco friendly choices can be that one thing that brings them out of buissness, keep in mind, they need to buy things in bulk!

mgwhitby22

I agree, schools should start to use diffrent packeging and diffrent amounts of plastics and carboard, they take a lot to of co2

Gabriella D

To respond to ennwhitby, it would need to be budgeted for in the beginning of the year, but wouldn’t you rather your tax dollars go toward helping schools reduce waste than to line so billionaires pockets.

7 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer