Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Ocean Acidification

In addition to the famous impacts of atmospheric carbon on global warming, there is an equally worrisome effect of carbon dioxide on the oceans: ocean acidification (or OA for short). Here at I2SEA we have a series of resources about OA, including Our Acidifying Ocean, which is an introductory activity and virtual lab (note: now mobile compatible!).

A student suggested that we start a conversation topic about OA, and here it is! Have you heard about Ocean Acidification? If so, are you worried about it? How do you think we can best raise awareness about it among your fellow students and the general public? Have you seen particularly good links or films about OA that you would like to share? What are you doing to address the problem?

Ocean Acidification >

10 ways to save our ocean

cmwhitby

1. Conserve Water
Use less water so excess runoff and wastewater will not flow into the ocean.
2. Reduce Pollutants
Choose nontoxic chemicals and dispose of herbicides, pesticides, and cleaning products properly.
3. Reduce Waste
Cut down on what you throw away.
Around Town
4. Shop Wisely
Choose sustainable seafood. Buy less plastic and bring a reusable bag.
5. Reduce Vehicle Pollution
Use fuel efficient vehicles, carpool or ride a bike.
6. Use Less Energy
Choose energy efficient light bulbs and don't overset your thermostat.
On the Water
7. Fish Responsibly
Follow "catch and release" practices and keep more fish alive.
8. Practice Safe Boating
Anchor in sandy areas far from coral and sea grasses. Adhere to "no wake" zones.
9. Respect Habitat
Healthy habitat and survival go hand in hand. Treat with care.
10. Anytime, Anywhere
Volunteer
Volunteer for cleanups at the beach and in your community. You can get involved in protecting your watershed too!

ODwhitby

I really like that you showed me how to help and not just state the problem. Now i know what exactly I can do to reduce my carbon footprint!

cmwhitby

Credit to NOAA
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/ocean/help-our-ocean.html

ennwhitby

Exactly what ODwhitby said! I really like how you say how you solve, instead of just saying the issue and making you unsure how to solve

MichaelaB278

Thank you for listing those! People can actually come on here and see that there are solutions the world just has to take action and not just here about how its a problem listing no solutions.

5 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer