Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

Ways to decrese carbon footprints

mvwhitby

On my carbon footprint the transportation was 14,784 kgs while the United states average is 2,954. To fix that I could walk to school or places that are close. Though I live 17 mins by car from my school, it would be a very long walk (3 hours)so I could bike. Another problem is having family in other countries. My school is an international school so many of my classmates are from other countries. We can fix this by traveling less or going on electric planes (when they exist). Together we can save our planet and our environment.
Link for electric plane source: https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/0 … technology.

Rowan_Stewart

These seem like some very well thought ideas! I have a very similar carbon footprint to you, and therefore, your reflection helped me in thinking about the ways I can change my emissions.
I live on the coast of Maine, where the average person emits 11.5 metric tons each year. One of the most influencial reason for these high emissions is the high transportation. I have family all over the country, and even in Ireland and Australia. To reduce my carbon footprint, I can lessen my trips to these places, or invest in companies which reverse the carbon emissions from these flights.
Another thing that we have a simularity in, is our distance from school. I live approximately 25 minutes from school by car, which makes walking an unrealistic idea. Even biking would be a bit far… Instead, I could carpool which a group of friends in an energy efficient car to reduce our individual emissions.
Although I realize none of my proposals are a solution, they are a good and realistic way for me to start on my journey of lowering carbon emissions.

Aaliyahdadawg

Reading about others people carbon footprint and having a better understanding of what there doing and different ways to help reduce the amount of carbon i read about a lot of good ideas. Such as walking or riding a bike to school or traveling less. Going back over my carbon footprint I could relate to some of these things like living 20 minutes from school and how that can really bring your carbon footprint up. My carbon footprint was overall 8,334.  A big part is because we don’t travel that often. But one solution I didn’t see someone mention that is a really big help and reduce to your carbon footprint is composting and recycling. There were some great ideas shared here but one that can definitely help is composting your food and recycling your materials.

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer