Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

What changes would you have to make in order to lower your carbon

lswhitby

In order to lower my carbon footprint, I can shower for a shorter duration, or I can walk a bit more, or use electricity only when I really need it. For example, I can turn the light off when I am watching tv. This will help lower the carbon produced from my home from 3622 kg per year to at least 3400 kg or lower.

Kaytee K

That sounds like a good idea! personally for me I live downtown so i should walk/bike more to places instead of driving everywhere which is a big problem where i live. I also have a pretty big home carbon footprint and instead of taking 15 minute showers i should try to cut it to less, or turn the water off when im not in under it.

Kendylhhh

I have many ways that could help you lower your carbon footprint. The first category is home. Instead of using incandescent light bulbs, try switching to LED light bulbs. They help reduce the amount you have to pay for your light bill and reduce the amount of carbon by 451 pounds a year. Another suggestion is taking shorter showers. Instead of taking a 15 minute shower, take a 10 minute shower. When you’re brushing your teeth, make sure to turn the water off until you’re ready to spit out the toothpaste. When washing your clothes, instead of using a washing machine, you could have a bucket of cold to lukewarm water with laundry detergent. Or you could use a washing machine but have the water set to cold. Once the clothes are done washing, instead of using a dryer, try air drying them. All these simple changes reduce your electricity bill and the amount of carbon that gets produced. My next category is food. Instead of going to the grocery store for vegetables and fruits, try planting them when they are in season. If you don't want to do that, try to by local or organic. Always make sure to save your leftovers when you’re done eating because that will reduce your grocery bill and the amount of trips you have to take to the grocery store. My last category is transportation. This one is tricky because if you like in a rural area, there might not be sidewalks. However, if you’re in a place that has a lot of sidewalks, instead of driving, walk or bike. Or purchase a used hybrid car or electric car.

LukeT

To lower my carbon footprint I could take shorter showers, I could also try to convince my parents to get a electric car, and when I go out to eat I can bring my own reusable containers.

Aaliyahdadawg

There were some good ideas about how to lower your carbon footprint. Like turning your light off after leaving the room or taking showers for not as long.these are some good ways to start lowering your carbon footprint, bigger things like washing your clothes in cold water and hanging them to dry are bigger steps that you can then later take. Also other things that were mentioned like changing all your out dated light bulbs to LED ones. Other ones also like getting an electric car. One things that can really reduce your carbon footprint without having to spend a lot of money or change a bunch of things is to compost and recycle. Simple things that have a big impact e with the more people who participate in this solution.

Hello2u

Well, depending on how high it is, different things will have lager effects. However some big factors that would make a change are; Turning off lightbulbs, running off solar power, electric car, eating organic products, water usage awareness, using reusable products, and being aware of how much you travel. For me, my family travels a lot, and so what made my carbon footprint was large. So, next year maybe my family will stay home and enjoy the sightseeing in hometown Maine.

All of these seem like smart ways to reduce your carbon footprint. These are all things that i’m sure many people can cut back on/reduce, and are things people can sacrifice in order to reduce their carbon emissions. Things i could do to reduce my own carbon footprint could be similar, like taking shorter showers, or when i get a car i could get one that has better gas mileage.

BellaW

I think that I’m usually pretty good at being conservative when it comes to my carob emissions. Something i think i can do differently to help my carbon footprint decrease is turning off devices and lights when I’m not using them. I’m usually pretty good amount turning off lights when i leave a room but i could be better. I also keep my phone and devices plugged in for the full 9 hours when I’m sleeping. We also keep our other devices like our desktop on and as well as our cable boxes on at all times. I think all of this affects my footprint a lot more than it should

JacobT

I play a lot of sports. Living in a rural area makes it so that I have to drive everywhere that I go. Cars release a lot of carbon but there are ways to work around this. One way is to carpool. I have friends on my team that I can ride with. Say I have 4 friends in the car with me. That’s 4 cars wort of people in 1 car. 1/4 of the carbon emissions.

Aiden Barley

To lower my carbon footprint my family and I have started to recycle more things(cardboard, reusing cans, etc), we have also bought our own composting bin. Of course us composting won’t make as big of a difference than a whole community but we are doing what we can. I think we could definitely take shorter showers as well.

Ediem

Turn lights off when you leave a room, carpool more, bring your own coffee mugs to cafes, and bring your own water bottle places.

Heimiri

To lower my carbon footprint, we installed solar panel recently and I also reduced my consumption of meat since last year. For 2 years now, I also use more buses, and an electrically assisted bicycle to go home, or for my personal activities.

You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer