Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Open Forum

Want to dicuss an ISCFC-related topic that you don't see listed yet? Here is your page for that!

The ISCFC team will then choose some of these student-envisioned discussions to feature on their own discussion page.

Open Forum >

Traveling & The Carbon Repercussions

WalterTheWalnut

Hello -

I recently completed the Carbon Footprint Calculator and found that my yearly output is extremely high (around 28000kg). For context - I flew a total of 16 plane trips last calendar year, this is because my father has been traveling around the world for long periods of time and thus I have been visiting him. I understand that the obvious solution would be to reduce the amount of trips I take, yet I already stretch them quite far apart (5-7 Months, yet I have included layovers in my calculation along with a few trips from 2021.). Does anyone have an idea that would help reduce my carbon footprint while still haven’t the opportunity to visit my Dad?

Thanks smile.

Barlo

Hello fellow student. I am extremely concerned by your carbon footprint. Since planes are so bad maybe try riding a horse instead of flying.

?

BellaW

I think traveling in planes in definitely a big contributor to climate change and our carbon emissions. I unfortunately, will be traveling a couple times this year and i wish there were other ways to travel the world without creating more carbon. I think since multiple people travel together, it makes the amount of carbon were putting into the environment more justified.

Calder M

Hello fellow student, While your carbon footprint is higher than most it is important to put everything into perspective. You should certainly make an effort to reduce travel and to take more direct routes if possible, but in then end in our highly industrialized world there is little you can do when it becomes necessary for you to travel internationally. And remember where most of the emissions come from, 100 of the largest corporations create over 70% of a the carbon emissions in the world, so if there is truly nothing you can do to avoid the travel in the first place there is no need to feel too guilty.

4 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer