Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Phones

saculsacul

Almost everybody doesn’t need to upgrade their phone every year. Sure, some people who review devices as their job shouldn’t suddenly stop reviewing, but for most people, it’s a good idea to just keep your current phone until it’s battery is significantly degraded, or it’s broken/4-5+ years old. Less overall devices will need to be made and less minerals will need to be mined if more people just keep their phones for longer and maybe replace the battery instead of buying a new phone.

Lilslay

I have seen a certain person smash their phones for Fun. Instead of wasting and being careless about their devices people should always be giving back. Because, constantly keeping the need for phones in demand and having so many produced just to be wasted by people replacing them unnecessarily is just contributing to the problem.

AbbyHelenButler

I agree with both of these ideas, and this could go for many things too like iPads, tablets, computers, monitors and more. I think that if people feel the need to change or get a new hone then they could start to think about buying used (but still completely working) phones. Phones like the ones that people trade in when they feel the need to get the newest one even if they dont need it. This could solve the feeling that people have of wanting a newer or just different phone but they still would be using one that has been re purposed.

HDIZZLE

Hey guys, I agree with your thoughts on phones and I wish there was a better solution. I don't think that there is a need to get the newest and best devices every year when they come out. Companies make you think that the newest model will change your life and that it is significantly better than the model of phone you currently have. This can pressure people to buy the newest thing to fit in or be cool, which is simply just not true. While the new devices have slightly better camera quality and some interesting new features, it is not always necessary to have. To add on to what was said about not needing the latest phone, when people do get new devices, what are they doing with the old ones? I know in my family we have a couple of old devices that are just laying around, not being used. I know that this is not beneficial to anyone and I wish that there were more well known ways to turn these in to give them another life. Instead of just having old phones, ipads, and laptops laying around, give it to someone who actually needs it.

4 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer