Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Wants or Needs- technology

LianaTalty

Is it always essential as humans to have the newest phone, newest laptop, newest AirPods? Personally, I do not feel that it is. It is harmful to the environment, wasteful, and purely unnecessary. When most popular electronics are created, they are built to contain liquid crystal display panels. Each time those are created, greenhouse gasses are emitted, directly harming the earth. Building a new smartphone represents 85%-95% of its total carbon emissions for 2 years. Which in simple terms, means that buying one new phone takes as much energy as operating and recharging the device for a decade. Keeping this in mind, I do not buy new devices unless I feel that mine is in such critical condition that it is necessary to make that purchase. It would be pointless and wasteful to purchase a new device, just for the sake of having the newest electronic.

Lucianahall

I agree, when people think of the negative effects of technology they usually think of the impact they have on our minds—which is a whole new problem—ignoring the impact it has on our planet as a whole. Not only does the overflow of tech crowd our minds but it crowds our atmosphere as well. It’s not bad to own a phone, the problem begins when it’s phone after phone with no intent to keep the current after a new model is released. We might even be better off going back to flip phones or more environmentally friendly alternatives.

HayleyKO

I completely agree with what you’re saying and agree that buying new technology and unnecessary purchases are not needed until your material is sufficiently suffering in the realm where they are not able to function properly. Looking at a CNN research article, it says that the American smartphone user keeps their phone for an average of 22.7 months. Knowing from experience there are some people that do have the money to afford buying a new iPhone every new release. This is completely unnecessary because unless the phone is in critical condition it still functions as any other would. This process is completely wasteful as you stated because of the fact that the phone you replaced would just end up in a landfill. This process solely to have the newest iPhone and technologies? Is it really necessary?

LeahJones

I completely agree. I think that people confuse the difference between wants and needs. For example lots of people are always quick to go get the newest iPhones even if theirs is only a few years old. I think there is no need to get a new phone, iPad, or computer unless the old one is broken or unable to be able to be used. I also agree with Luciana when she says that people think of the impact on our minds and not necessarily the impact on our planet. There’s also the fact that when someone gets a new phone and if they don’t dispose of it correctly all the pieces that go into making our phones end up in landfills and that isn’t good for the environment either. I never buy new phones I always take my siblings or parents old ones so that they aren’t just getting rid of a perfectly good phone.

zoerugg2

Buying new devices is one of my weaknesses in my carbon footprint. I buy new and not refurbished devises, and which I do not need new fancy devices I still get them. One of the things I believe I could do to reduce my footprint in this subject is use my phone less. My screen time is extremely high and it most likely uses a lot of data.

Bigbadbrian17

I completely agree with all of this. Anytime I have a small crack on my phone or if I loose my headphones I immediately ask my parents if I can buy a new pair even if my device is in good condition. I believe that there is a serious stigma that comes around buying the latest most expensive item. When you finally get that new item you feel so cool for about a year until the next new things comes out and gather once very cool item is worth nothing. Apple and Samsung in particular are always coming out with new products that are very appealing to their consumers. But is there really anything better about the phone or tablet that came out a year later than the one before that? These companies set a trap for many teenagers and adults and it’s our job to realize that constantly buying new products is a waste of resources and is very bad for the environment. Although it will be hard I plan to use my devices until they quite literally break in half.

ConnorH123

I agree with most of the original statement. I would like to say though from my personal experience I can be the person that sometimes buys a phone every year. I do realize the effect that can make, that is the reason I use Apple products. Apple’s trade in program is a wonderful initiative to save the environment while saving you a buck too. The trade in program allows you to trade in your iPhone of any model or even any device and it will be recycled and reused. This will also get you a discount on the device your trading in for. I have a wonderful experience with this program I can say nothing but good things about it.

TheoSN2

I don’t think that the real / main issue is about the purchase of a new laptop or others devices. For me, I think that it is about how we use it. For example, if you use your new device just to watch Netflix, or use social media… you know you’re doing wrong - for environment but also for your lifestyle habits.
Every tools can be good for environment, but it depends on how we use it. smile

8 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer