Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

Student footprint

AbbyHelenButler

As a student I think that there are lots of ways that the school could reduce its carbon footprint, as well as every student individually. On of the things that the school does is composting, everyday the composting bucket sits less than 3 inches away from the trash can and countless students still decide to throw their food scraps away. If everyone could take the extra .0001 seconds to move their hand 2 inches from the trash can to the composting bucket then we as a whole could help reduce carbon emissions at school. Another wya that we as students could help is to just simply start to cycle paper and use more scrap paper. Art classes could utilize paper that gets thrown away and repurpose it, individuals could make sure that they use both sides of their notebook paper when they’re taking notes, teachers could start printing on the blank side of papers that have only been used to print on one side. These are all simple things that take near to no actual change in lifestyle but can have a big impact if you add up all of the time that your would’ve been doing this.

LianaTalty

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Abby! Composting is immensely beneficial to the environment and a simple way that students at our school can reduce their carbon footprint. Composting improves structure and health of soil by adding organic matter to it and helps the soil maintain nutrients. Composting also attracts beneficial organisms to the soil and reduces the need for pesticides and fertilizers while reducing the risk for soil erosion. In addition to putting food waste in the compost bin, students can also request smaller portions at lunch to reduce food that they are wasting, even if it is going in the compost. Overall, composting is a very easy step that students at our school can take to reduce their carbon footprint!

LeahJones

I completely agree. I think composting is just one easy and simple way students at our school can do to help make a change. Composting has other benefits then just reducing carbon. Like Liana was saying it improves the structure and health of the soil which then can help plants grow better. I think that soil can and might already be being used in our school garden to help make those plants grow bigger and better. I also agree with you when you say that it’s not being done by everyone even though it takes such a little amount of time. Personally I think that the cafeteria should get rid of the single use plates, bowls, and silverware. We should be reusing our dish ware and silverware especially if we have the stuff to do so. I don’t see a need to use single use stuff. I also agree that we should start recycling our paper. This is another easy and simple way we can do to help make a change. Recycling paper at school doesn’t take any extra time because the recycling bins are right next to the trash cans which is where people usually put their paper/paper scraps. Overall I think our school is taking steps in the right direction to reducing the amount of carbon that are school as a whole is releasing.

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer