Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Fast fashion

Laura Riordan

Since the fashion industry is hugely detrimental to the planet, how do we change the entire culture? Is it possible to get people to stop buying cheap clothes?
At scale, if EVERYONE were to buy the majority of their clothes used, would the brands adapt to more durable, less trendy clothing? When will the environmental need outweigh people’s want for cheap new clothes?
Social Justice - where do we draw the line about working conditions, and what percent of people are aware of what kind of brand they are supporting when they buy clothes? Would ratings be viable (like labels on food) something saying a brand’s sustainability rating?

0liver

I agree 100%! Durable clothing may be more expensive but you save in the long term in two ways; They will last longer so you won’t have to buy more clothes that will break easily and second it means less waste which save the planet. That is why I try to buy from brands such as Patagonia.  Patagonia is a B corp. company. Also almost all of there clothes are made of recycled materials and if they break you can send them back or bring them into a Patagonia store and they will fix them. They also have a line called worn wear. I have a worn wear shirt it is super cool it is made of multiple shirts sewn together. Up until recently they gave 1% of their profits to stopping climate change. The founder recently gave 98% of the stock to a non profit group.

All in all I think that more people should buy from company’s like Patagonia. They may cost more but you will save in the long term.

Ediem

I agree that fast fashion is terrible for the planter overall. Although there are some benefits to it, like people who can’t afford as nice clothes it makes more sense for them and may be there best option. But, thrifting and buying second hand clothing is also very affordable (generally) and is very good for the environment, because you are getting maximum use out of a piece of clothing.

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer