Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Wants or Needs- in my opinion

DariaM-CNBS

Do we really need all the things we buy? As teenagers, it is difficult for us to distinguish between needs and desires, but we can try.
In my opinion, people cannot live without satisfying their personal desires, because this action produces them happiness, but they can realize when they cross a limit that they impose on themselves. For example, we can make a list of wishes, the objectives of which we can tick off in turn, every month. Thus, we will have time to think if we still need all those things, such as a new phone or an mp3 player every year, buying only the strictly necessary and being happy.
In life it is important to maintain a balance between needs and desires, because a new phone model does not make you a better person, it only makes you dependent on it.
In conclusion, don't waste your money on expensive things just because they are fashionable, because as quickly as they appeared, they disappear as quickly, and social media contributes to publicize these aspects of unnecessary consumerism, using new technology against us.

Hayden Fernandez

I agree that it is okay to buy some of your wants to make you happy but you should not go overboard.

abmcfly

Yes, this is essential for people to distinguish the line between happy and obsessive.

chri_szun

I mostly agree, most teenagers have a bit trouble separating some of their wants from their needs, but it is not extremely difficult for separating all of their wants vs needs. I like the idea of having a timer from the moment you want something until you let yourself buy it, i believe it could help you realize how unimportant some items you want really are. I also agree with the fact that you brought up how most people are against every since unnecessary purchase, but most people also  fail to ignore that something unnecessary, yet simple, could bring a great amount of joy into someone’s life. I also greatly appreciate the mention of how social media pushes these products onto us as consumers.

Zack S

Yes as teenagers we must think about our wants and needs because the unnessesary things could increase our carbon footprint to unhealthy levels.

Mark_C_MChavez

Don't fall for the shopping scam people!

Don P

I agree, we need to make sure that we are not constantly getting new things because we do not need the newest thing and it really taxes the environment.

Phoenix.d

I agree with this because as fun as it is to always have brand new things we should be able to focus more on the priorities, like what's essential to our health like food and shelter. As a teenager, there's a lot of wants like the new iphone that comes out but there's a lot more that builds up once you get something new. I agree with being able to maintain a certain balance between wants and need. I think it's important we do this to keep the satisfaction in getting something new when you do. About 5.6 billion people in the world have access to mobile phones, whether they have one, or they borrow someone else's which is leaving room for the 2.4 billion who may not even be able to afford a phone. I think having one is a certain necessity depending on the situation, but that doesn't necessarily mean getting the brand new one right as it's released. Being appreciative for what you have definitely benefits to everything you earn like when you can buy something new. To a certain extent, I think social media does over advertise things to you as a consumer to make it interesting and intriguing but there's so many better things you can probably buy.
https://datareportal.com/global-digital … ber%202023.

8 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer