Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Wants or Needs - Clothes

Daria Vasile

Many things we own were bought just because we felt compelled by what we saw on the internet. In reality, many of the recommended items, especially in the case of clothes, ended up in the closet, worn once or twice or never at all. Most people prefer cheap clothes, whose price is also reflected in the quality of the product. In order to stop overbuying and to stop being fooled by all the recommendations found on social media, people should understand that a more expensive product, but with a better material, is more useful and lasts longer than one from a fast fashion clothing online store. A simple and cheaper way is to buy clothes from thrifting stores. By choosing to buy secondhand clothing instead of brand new, you reduce waste and help the planet. Also you can buy quality clothes at a right price.

SaraMakar

I agree with you that you should buy better quality clothes than the ones that are in trend. I think it's much better to buy quality clothes than some branded ones. It's also a great idea to buy used clothes, and it's an even better idea to donate your clothes that you don't use because it reduces waste and thus helps the Earth and people.

brhuBOD

I agree with your argument about prioritizing your needs over wants. When researching the topic on how much the clothing industry (+transportation) contributes to carbon emissions the results where shocking. The process of making clothing also takes away some of the Earths most important recourses. For example it takes thousands of liters of water to make a pair of jeans. Limiting your spending of clothing can help with carbon emissions as well as helping to save water. It can be very hard to limit the amount of clothing you buy, because shopping can be really fun, and having more clothing means more options for outfits. The problem with this is how it effects the release of Greenhouse gases to the atmosphere. Not only does making clothing release emissions but the transportations causes significant damage. To transport all the new clothing made it releases to much carbon emissions which is very harmful for our atmosphere. There is also the fact that fashion brands come out with new and trendy clothing every week, and this prompts individuals to buy them. This is harmful because the more clothing people buy the more they throw out, and most of it is not donated and end up in a landfill. TO help prevent this people can shop and thrift stores and second hand stores because not only is it much cheaper but it also is good quality. You can also donate all the clothing you don't need or wear, and this will help because others will avoid going to the big fashion chains and spending more money.

This is the source I used for my research: https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/featu … o-ambiente

AmDeBOD

I agree with your argument about buying clothing items that you need, rather than the items you want. In today's society, we are fixated on buying clothes that are "next in the trends". Often times even I find myself buying clothes that are "trendy" rather than buying clothes that I need more of. Now more than ever, social media has taken a toll on how much input we get from other people. This has caused us to buy an absurd amount of items that we don't need, just because we can, and then throw them out when they are no longer in style. Fast Fashion companies like Shein, ZARA, Forever 21, GAP, etc, are all a part of the problem. Not only do these companies require an intense amount of labor, but they have a huge impact on Carbon Emissions. Carbon emissions affect our atmosphere in so many ways, causing our Earth to heat up more than it should. For example, many animals in the Arctic are going extinct, and we are getting harsher summers with shorter winters yearly. To prevent this issue from getting worse, I would recommend buying clothes that are better quality and have less of an impact on carbon emissions. These clothes might cost more, but in the long run, they will last longer. I would also recommend shopping at thrift stores where you can get second-hand clothing, that is still good quality, at affordable prices.

Source: https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/featu … o-ambiente

emhoBOD

I agree with the argument about buying only items that you need, not ones you want. In our society today there is a emphasis on cheap, fast fashion. This upwards trend in unsustainable fashion will cause a spike in carbon emissions. A large amount of our carbon emissions come from purchases, which cause our Earth to heat up much more than it naturally should. For example, to acquire new clothing it has to be made, processed and shipped to you or the store you buy from. All of these steps emit massive amounts of greenhouse gasses into our atmosphere. The fashion industry is harmful to the Earth in other ways as well. For example, the industry uses 93 billion cubic meters of water, which is enough to meet the needs of 5 million people.  A lasting solution to this issue of fast fashion would be to buy from quality stores which sell long-lasting clothes, or even better, buy from second-hand stores and thrift stores. It can be tempting to purchase new clothes often if you have the money to because more clothes means more options, but you can still get good quality clothing from thrifting. Oftentimes, it is cheaper to thrift as well. In the article I read it stated that people with higher incomes tend to purchase more and have a larger carbon footprint overall. This is because they may not need to save as much money on things such as clothing or transportation. These people will probably buy more clothes more often, causing them to contribute more to climate change. Therefore, the fashion industry is very harmful to our planet and we should do our best to purchase sustainable items to help combat this issue.

Research sites: https://www.sciencejournalforkids.org/w … rticle.pdf  and https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/featu … o-ambiente

AmlaBOD

I totally agree. The way we think about our clothing needs versus wants has a big impact on global warming. Clothes are something we all need to stay covered and comfortable, but the problem arises when our desire for the latest fashion trends and constant shopping leads to unnecessary and disposable clothing. This "fast fashion" culture is bad for the environment. It means more factories and energy use, which leads to more greenhouse gas emissions. Plus, all the transportation involved in shipping clothes around the world adds to the carbon footprint. And when we throw away unwanted clothes, they end up in landfills and produce methane, a powerful greenhouse gas. I think we can make a difference by taking a more sustainable approach to clothing and challenging ourselves and others to purchase less, especially when we don't need it. This can involve choosing quality garments that last longer, supporting ethical and eco-friendly brands, embracing second-hand shopping, and recycling or donating our unwanted clothing. By making these conscious choices, we can contribute to mitigating the fashion industry's environmental impact and help combat global warming. Here is a link I found with some facts about fast fashion and the damage the industry causes: https://goodonyou.eco/fast-fashion-facts/

jtds

I agree with this because with that amount of waist that clothes and fast fashion cause, it is much better to get a good quality piece of clothing and wear it for a long time than wear something only once thats cheap and have it end up in the trash where it'll eventually end up polluting the environment. According to my sources, each person causes over 100 pounds of textile waiste to pollute the environment every year. I greatly believe that fast fashion needs to end and our society as a whole should become more aware of how many clothes we are waisting.

Research sites: https://www.bu.edu/sph/news/articles/20 … vironment/

https://www.unep.org/news-and-stories/s … st-fashion

KadeBOD

Clothes are a necessity of human rights. However, you never need more clothes than you already have. Living in a society where shopping is regular and buying new clothes is an activity, it feels necessary when you want to follow the trend. Before getting to the factory that admits greenhouse gasses, take this back to the cotton plants the material is actually grown from. These plants require 2,700 liters of water, which a human drinks in two and a half years. This is very damaging to our environment, especially when the clothes are not for a "need" cause. Fast Fashion is very popular in our society however due to the impact on our environment makes the 2,700 liters of water worth no purpose. An Alternate option would be to buy from second hand stores, thrift, and donate your clothes. Work Cited: https://www.wri.org/insights/apparel-in … 6-graphics

chwiBOD1

I agree that it is an important to individually contribute to lowering your carbon footprint. Consuming less is a good way to do that because it lessens the demand for certain goods like clothes and also helps cut the amount of textile waste from either going into landfill and destroying natural habitats or getting burnt and contributing to air pollution. Ten percent of carbon emissions come from clothing landfills. Most of this also happens in foreign countries destroying the natural habitat and the air in these countries. A good example of this is Chile. Chile's clothing landfill, located in The Atacama desert, receives around 60,000 tons of clothing annually. This number is rising due to the expansion of fast fashion. These cheaper clothing are almost always made with polyester due to the fact that it is cheaper and longer lasting. This means that it can take up to two hundred years for a polyester garment to decompose. One way we can reduce the textiles shipped to landfills is to buy good quality clothing that you can keep for a long time. Buying cotton instead of polyester is good because it decomposes faster. Buying and donating to thrift stores is an affordable way to consume sustainable fashion and give it a second life.

Sources I used:https:

//www.bu.edu/sph/news/articles/2022/the-aftermath-of-fast-fashion-how-discarded-clothes-impact-public-health-and-the-environment/#:~:text=Once%20textiles%20are%20discarded%2C%2066,others%20over%20hundreds%20of%20years.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envi … 3820853070

https://nypost.com/2021/11/09/chilean-d … -clothing/

labrBOD

I agree that many items are bought because they are displayed in a way that makes us want to purchase it. Also, like you mentioned when you buy better quality clothing it lasts for a longer time which can lower ones carbon footprint. As stated in the article "More stuff = more climate change" more stuff = higher carbon footprint. This means everything someone buys increases their carbon footprint so the more they buy the higher their footprint will be.

10 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer