Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Is Climate Change Real & Human-Caused?

The ISCFC is all about reducing our individual and collective contributions to climate change.

But is climate change really happening? Is it mostly caused by human activity, including our production of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases?

In the United States and elsewhere, there are people who are not convinced by the science. But the great thing about science is that we use evidence to evaluate scientific questions. So what is the evidence related to climate change?

Are you or are you not convinced by the majority of climate scientists who say that climate change is real and largely human caused? Why are you convinced/not convinced? What evidence might change your mind one way or the other?

Is Climate Change Real & Human-Caused? >

Is climate change caused by humans

Poppydowns

I don't think human change is only caused by humans. Even human cause the most damage there's also other nature things that hurts the environment. Volcanoes for example, volcanoes is a part of the nature but it also hurts it. When and volcanoes explode it causes hot lava that kills plants. Other then that there is also earthquake and Tsunami.

jacoBOD1

I agree! Climate change is real and both caused naturally and by humans. We produce lots of carbon dioxide from large production factories and our global transportation. The amount of CO2 in the world due to transportation has been increasing at significant rates since 2010, most of which comes from mass production in China according to https://www.iea.org/topics/transport. Climate change is considerably caused by humans as I have just explained. However, climate change is also somewhat naturally caused by volcanoes as you have pointed out. Another piece of evidence we can use to prove climate change is naturally caused is the changes in the sun and variations in the Earth’s orbit. https://www.bgs.ac.uk/discovering-geolo … to-change/  shows that there are many different factors that contribute to climate change some of which are natural like changes in ocean currents which affect climate change because of how an increase of temperature can make more water vapor in the atmosphere creating more greenhouse gases. Those are some more ways that climate change is affected naturally and the websites linked are great resources where you can learn more information about climate just as I have!

Kinsey S

I agree that humans are not the only cause of climate change. However just because we are not the only cause does not mean we are not at fault. Also, just because it is natural doesn't mean that we should not help and try to reduce our impact on climate change. Since humans have such high emissions the climate is increasing very fast which can negatively affect the environment.

chan.le7

I agree with you, I do not believe that humans are the only thing that makes our climate change. Yes, though humans are one of the main factors that go into a climate changing the weather can be caused by different natural disasters, such as a volcano erupting or a hurricane storming an area. The humans, in my opinion are the main reasons we have different climates but also the different events happening in the world. Some might argue for one or the other.

kaylee sy

Hello @Poppydowns, No, climate change is not solely caused by humans (I agree with your statement).  There are also natural causes of climate change, such as volcanic eruptions and changes in solar activity. However, human activities are now the dominant cause of climate change, especially over the last century.  The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the leading international body for the assessment of climate change, has concluded that it is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century.

Human activities that contribute to climate change include:
- Burning fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, and natural gas
- Deforestation
- Agriculture
- Industrial processes

These activities release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, which trap heat and warm the planet.

The IPCC has also concluded that human influence on the climate system is clear, and recent emissions of greenhouse gases are the highest in history (because of humans).   Unless there are immediate, rapid and large-scale reductions in greenhouse gas emissions, limiting warming to close to 1.5°C or even 2°C will be beyond reach.

Here is a source for the above information:  IPCC Fifth Assessment Report, Summary for Policymakers: https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/

It is important to note that there is a scientific consensus that human activities are the dominant cause of climate change.  However, there is still some debate about the specific contributions of different human activities to climate change, and the exact magnitude of the future warming that can be expected.  Despite the scientific consensus on human-caused climate change, there is still a great deal of public and political debate about the issue.  This debate is often fueled by misinformation and disinformation from special interests who have a financial stake in the fossil fuel industry.  It is important to educate ourselves about the science of climate change and to hold our leaders accountable for taking action to address this critical issue.

However, I don't exactly agree with you using volcanoes as an example.  Volcanoes are natural phenomena that can cause both harm and benefit to nature.

On one hand, volcanic eruptions can release ash, gases, and lava that can damage or destroy ecosystems.  For example, the eruption of Mount St. Helens in 1980 killed millions of animals and destroyed over 200 square miles of forest.  On the other hand, volcanoes can also create new land and enrich soil, which can promote the growth of new plants and ecosystems.  For example, the Hawaiian Islands were formed by volcanic eruptions over millions of years.  Today, the islands are home to a diverse range of plants and animals, many of which are found nowhere else in the world.

Overall, whether or not volcanoes hurt nature depends on a number of factors, including the size and intensity of the eruption, the type of volcanic material released, and the surrounding environment.

Here are some specific examples of the positive and negative impacts of volcanoes on nature:

Positive impacts:
- Volcanic ash can fertilize soil and improve agricultural yields.
- Volcanic ash can also help to create new land, such as the Hawaiian Islands.
- Volcanic eruptions can create unique habitats for plants and animals.
- Volcanic eruptions can release minerals and other nutrients into the environment, which can benefit ecosystems.

Negative impacts:
- Volcanic ash can blanket vegetation and make it difficult for plants to photosynthesize.
- Volcanic ash can also pollute water supplies and make it difficult for animals to drink.
- Volcanic gases can be toxic to plants and animals.
- Lava flows can destroy ecosystems and displace wildlife.

It is important to note that the impacts of volcanoes on nature are complex and can vary depending on the specific circumstances. However, it is clear that volcanoes can have both positive and negative impacts on nature.  Volcanoes are both creators and destroyers of life, but relating it to how human actions have destroyed the environment is a bit of a stretch for me since the damage that volcanoes did on this earth for thousands of years is practically nothing compared to what humans did in less than a century.  Compared to human activity, volcanoes are natural and part of how our world rebuilds itself over time.  What volcanoes destroy paves a new path for a different life over time.  It's kinda like turning over a new leaf.  However, what we do just kills everything before it can regrow.  Volcanoes don't make decisions to cause harm to the world, but humans do...

Heidi M

I agree that humans are not the only cause of climate change. Though I would say that humans play a major role in climate change and possibly the most fault when it comes to negatively affecting it. Naturally the Earth has greenhouse gases to keep the Earth  habitable and functional. When it comes to volcanoes as a natural cause of climate change I would not only say that it hurts the environment. It mostly renews the environment to make it recover. The plants volcanoes kill off would eventually regrow and the land would become fertile soils. Other natural destruction are earthquakes and tsunamis, but ones that really hurt the earth are caused by humans due to their use of greenhouse gases.

https://climate.nasa.gov/extreme-weather/

6 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer