Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Wants VS Needs

dekuluvr

(note: my username should be PrithikaChatterjee so please ignore whatever comes as my username!)

Wants and needs have always been more or less distinguishable from each other. Needs are something that are very necessary and should be included in our lives. This includes food, water, and shelter. Without food and water, we won't be able to survive with the lack of energy. Plus, even if we do have food and water, what will protect us from the forces of nature? That's why we need shelters.

On the other hand, wants are something that are evident in our lives, yet we don't need them as much as needs. Some may argue that the internet, for example, is something very necessary to be in our lives. However, if we are in a situation where we have to choose between food and our electronic devices, surely we will choose food. And this isn't something only I would do. If we were starving, we'd go for saving our lives first. We could get a new device later on, but if we lose our lives from starvation? Well, we'd never get them back.

It's important to be able to tell the differences between wants and needs, since this becomes a big part of our lives later on in the future. Making the right choices, using as little resources as we can to save them, all adds up to needs vs wants. In conclusion, we should all be aware and be able to tell the differences between needs and wants. Thanks for making it to the end!

andrejmartinez

I agree with you that needs are necessary in our life and we couldn't survive without them. You also provided a good example whether we would choose food over a new electronic device. I believe everyone would answer with food. People used to live without electronic devices and many other things we today find very normal and couldn't imagine our life without them. Those things are called wants. But I think everyone should have their wants and especially needs but just be rational with their wants because it affects the environment. I think it's okay for people to get something considered as wants but always be rational because of the lack of resources on the Earth.

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer