Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Wants or Needs?

Diana Manea

There is a huge difference between wanting something and needing something.I understand that from time to time, we can buy expensive things that are in trending, but which we do not necessarily need.What is very important, is that we don’t have to make a habit of this.There are people who can’t afford the bare minimum, and others who spend a lot of money on everything they see and like.Before buying something that you will most likely forget after two or three weeks, think twice.Think twice, if it’s a need or a want, because such habits produce financial and material waste!

KabiBOD

I agree a lot with this post because differentiating between a want and a need is a crucial skill. Not just in relation to the environment, but in the interest of not creating bad money spending habits. Many people don't even have their basic needs met and in the interest of anyone financially struggling or less fortunate than yourself, donate your clothes, dont buy from fast fashion, and most importantly before making a purchase ask yourself; do I actually need this? If the answer is no, don't buy it in complete agreement with the above post, you will only be producing financial and material waste.

lamiBOD

I appreciate your commentary and opinions but I personally don't understand how buying expensive clothes contributes to people's carbon footprints and the greenhouse effect. But I do believe that buying brand-new technology is kinda pointless for example if you have a good working iPad there is no point in buying a brand-new one because Apple just released it. I think companies are the main ones to blame for more carbon being released, they are producing these products and selling them to people like Apple comes out with. For example, Apple released about 430 million products globally in 2020. And the use of gas cars affects carbon emission a lot but I personally don't like electric cars. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, since 1970, CO2 emissions have increased by about 90% from fossil fuels and industrial processes.

Jayden B

Hi Diana, great post! I appreciate you bringing up needs vs wants and how it contributes to financial and material waste. This is especially a problem in the consumer-oriented market and culture in the United States. I myself am guilty of this as I become obsessed with certain hobbies, buy items pertaining to that hobby, and then let those items sit in my house once I lose interest in the hobby or activity. Some people will drive 45 minutes to a store just to buy a shirt that they will wear once for a holiday or event. I agree with you that people should think twice about their purchases and that more conscientious purchasing habits will reduce financial and material waste for individuals.

Olivia.18

This is unfortunately a huge part of American society. Fast fashion here is high and there is little love to thrifting or giving away thing we no longer need to those who do.

24ruiz0543

I agree, I think a lot of the time people will purchase items that aren't necessarily needed. Most of the time the clothing is also made poorly and rips after a few wears.Unfortunately this is a huge issue in society right now

24heb

I think the problem, more tends to be the amount of certain trends people tend to hop onto, when it comes to clothing, with ever-changing styles, forms of expressing what you tend to like, come to mind. I believe that the circulating market for clothing is a problem, at least with the constant buying of new items, people tend to not need as much as they want. I believe people should have the ability to mostly buy whatever they want, but when it comes to such a large-scale behavior, it can have disastrous impacts on the environment, most of these side effects can be traced to the American adoption of consumerism.

7 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer