Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

How Cutting Down on Meat Consumption Affects My Carbon Footprint

lumaBOD

I noticed that my carbon footprint on food spiked when I put in how much meat I ate (3,288 kg). Looking at eating meat is one of the most significant contributors to a my carbon footprint, as meat production produces enormous greenhouse gas emissions. According to a United Nations report, the livestock business accounts for 14.5% of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.(https://unfccc.int/blog/we-need-to-talk-about-meat) Animal agriculture requires a lot of land, water, and feed, which adds to a person's carbon footprint. When compared to other varieties of meat, such as chicken or fish, the production of red meat is connected with higher greenhouse gas emissions. According to a study conducted by University of Michigan and Tulane University, replacing 50% of Americans' meat intake with plant-based proteins might reduce greenhouse gas emissions by up to 2 billion tons of greenhouse gas pollution.(https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/news/press-releases/study-cutting-us-meat-intake-half-could-prevent-16-billion-tons-climate-pollution-2020-04-30/) Eating a plant-based diet can dramatically lower a my carbon footprint because plant-based meals use fewer resources and emit fewer emissions than animal-based foods. Furthermore, I could go as far as purchasing locally sourced and responsibly farmed beef, which can also help lower a my carbon footprint. Overall, lowering meat consumption is one of the most effective strategies for me to reduce my carbon footprint and contribute to climate change mitigation efforts.

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer