Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Is Having The Latest Technology a Want or a Need?

edkiBOD

Now for most cases, having the latest and most up to date technology is not a need.  It is simply something that people want.  This is natural because we, as humans want to have what is currently "trending".  Unfortunately, when people get more and more of this harmful technology, it continues to hurt the environment and the person purchasing it.  When getting all the latest technology, it consumes resources that then release more carbon into the atmosphere.  The production of technology uses non-renewable resources and coal to generate electricity.  According to Exploros' How Technology can Harm the environment, "Carbon emissions get released into the atmosphere from cars, airplanes, power plants and factories."  this says that most of the carbon emissions are released from factories that produce things like technology.  So, to save our planet and our health, it is important to distinguish between the Wants and Needs in our life. 

Sources:
1. https://www.exploros.com/summary/how-te … technology.
2. https://www.trvst.world/environment/neg … vironment/

sr29

I think everybody should be on the same page for this. Latest technology is a want. There is nothing that can convince me that a person needs a new phone as soon as a company releases one. I've has my phone for about 4 years now, and it still functions perfectly fine. Sure, it doesn't have some features that newer phones have, but it has the basic texting, calling, social media, etc. A phone can last you for a good amount of time, and consistently buying a new one isn't doing the planet any favours. All because the new phone seems super cool with so many new updates, I'm sure it's not much different than the three models before it.

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer