Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Wants or Needs?

janeBOD10

Wants or Needs? Many people today are heavily influenced by social media platforms such as Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, etc, as well as streaming networks such as Zeus, Netflix, and many more media platforms. Being a young girl in a world full of materialistic things, you want to buy everything that you see! But are these things necessary or are you just so consumed by social media platforms that you are not considering your negative contribution to the world?
After researching how the climate cost of fashion and the process of manufacturing these items, a research study made in 2019 tells the audience about how each step of the process  of creating fashion items that we as customers don’t even take into consideration when making these purchases that heavily affect our atmosphere in a variety of ways such as simply buying a pair of jeans. The emission of the production of cotton, to the delivery of the product to its location, comes up to around 33.4kg of carbon being released into the atmosphere. Another way that brands in the fashion department are negatively contributing to our atmosphere is by wasting 20% of water worldwide due to fabric dying and treatment.
From personal experience of frequently going shopping, I can admit that a lot of the clothes that I buy, I like and wear often, but there is also a good amount of clothes that I've purchased over the years that I've either thrown away or donated. As well as small items used to decorate my home or small items like slime and hairclips. I am not here to say that I think people should not buy themselves new items but since so many people in the world are so influenced by social media to buy the cool things that we see online, it is easy to forget how we are affecting our Earth. Some practical ways that customers can still buy items when shopping while not contributing as much carbon into the atmosphere are by using coupons, signing up for mailing lists to be alerted when new deals and sales are going on, shopping at store outlets instead of regular malls because store outlets sell brand new quality items for prices that become lower and lower every day and bargain! Recycling old garments and repairing old clothes. Lastly, the next time you are out shopping you can simply ask yourself if the items you are purchasing are worth affecting the amount of carbon going into the atmosphere and if this item is something that you really need and will be able to keep for years.

Source: https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/featu … o-ambiente

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer