Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

My Footprint

aigaBOD

Upon completing the calculation process, I was surprised to see that most of my numbers were close to average. Some were slightly below and some slightly above but most were close to the average. This remained true for all of the numbers except for my travel emissions. During summertime, I usually spend lots of time traveling to all sorts of places. Being that I fly to most of these places, It causes lots of emissions to be put out, and those numbers reflect on my overall footprint. According to an article by Sustainable Travel International, I have come up with a few ways to lower my travel emissions. Firstly, I can avoid flying to nearby locations. There are probably some places that I could drive or take a train rather than fly to since they are closer to home. Doing this would greatly lower my emissions because planes put out a lot more emissions than other means of travel. Another way I can lower emissions in this category would be by using as little emissions when traveling in the car. By traveling in an electric vehicle, or carpooling with a few people every time I drive somewhere, I can greatly lower my travel emissions and can help balance out the emissions caused by air travel.

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer