Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

The Carbon Foot Print SJRState Florida, How to address it / Is it Fair

Voice1145

Greetings, all:

I currently live on the east coast of Florida, and I'm actively engaged in a class assignment focused on carbon footprints. Today, I'll be sharing my data and insights with you, and I'm eager to hear your thoughts and opinions on the matter. It's been a questionable journey for me, and I'd love to compare my findings with others, as the results have been eye-opening for me.

I initially predicted that my carbon footprint would be lower than the average person in Florida, United States, and about the same as the global average.
The actual calculated carbon footprint is 12,824 kilograms (kgs) of CO2 per year. This is compared to an average of 13,115 kgs for the state of Florida, the United States, and a global average of 3,791 kgs totaling 8,358 pounds.

My carbon footprint was divided into four categories:

Home: My carbon footprint from my home-related activities totaled 10,443 kgs. This is higher than the regional average of 5,065 kgs, indicating that my home-related activities contribute more to my carbon footprint compared to the regional average.

Food: My food-related carbon footprint is only 1,610 kgs, which is lower than the regional average of 2,996 kgs. This suggests that my food choices are more environmentally friendly than the regional average. However, I do not believe that my eating habits are very unhealthy and helped me realize I will need a better/healthier diet.

Purchases: I have a carbon footprint of 448 kgs from their purchases, which is lower than the regional average of 1,606 kgs. This indicates that my consumption choices are less carbon-intensive than the regional average. But this is an unfair assessment compared to others, as I am retired and have little need for an abundance of unnecessary resources.

Transportation: My transportation-related carbon footprint is 323 kgs, significantly lower than the regional average of 3,447 kgs. My transportation choices are much more eco-friendly than the regional average due to my choice to stay in a location that requires little to no travel.

Overall, my lower carbon footprint can be attributed to my ability to afford environmentally friendly choices. I have the financial means to invest in sustainable food options, eco-conscious purchases, and efficient transportation methods. However, it's important to note that my home-related activities, such as housing and energy usage, contribute more to my overall carbon footprint. In my view, This highlights the fact that individuals with greater financial resources have the advantage of making greener choices in various aspects of their lives, while those facing financial constraints may find it challenging to prioritize environmental considerations.

I say this because pushing for a net-zero carbon emissions target on developing countries without considering the broader context can be seen as unfair and unrealistic. First, many developing nations are still grappling with basic infrastructure, access to clean energy, and poverty alleviation. They face a significant development deficit and are striving to uplift their citizens from poverty. Forcing them into an immediate net-zero emissions scenario can hinder their ability to provide for their people and meet their basic needs. It's vital to acknowledge that these countries have contributed far less to historical carbon emissions compared to developed nations, and it is an issue of historical responsibility. Lets put it in another scenario, simply they consume less. Placing the same burden on them as on industrialized nations fails to account for the historical and economic disparities.

Secondly, a one-size-fits-all approach to carbon emissions overlooks the unique challenges faced by different developing nations. These countries vary widely in terms of their resource availability, industrialization levels, and economic capacities. Imposing a uniform target fails to recognize the diverse circumstances and capabilities of these nations. Instead, a more equitable approach would involve supporting developing countries in their transition to cleaner technologies and practices, ensuring they have access to sustainable and affordable energy sources, and addressing their specific development needs. Collaboration and international support are essential in achieving global climate goals while respecting the distinct challenges faced by developing nations. In essence, pushing for net-zero emissions without considering these critical factors can be perceived as unjust and counterproductive in the broader fight against climate change.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.  Also here is an article to ponder on: https://www.brookings.edu/articles/it-i … too-early/

Here is my Data as well:
My Prediction footprint would be lower than the average person in
Florida, United States, and about the same as the average human.

Based on your input, your total footprint is 12,824 kgs of CO2 per year, compared to
an average of 13,115 kgs for Florida, United States, and 3791 kg (= 8358 lb) worldwide.

By category, your totals are:
                You:    Your Region:
Home:                10,443 kgs    5,065 kgs
Food:                1,610 kgs    2,996 kgs
Purchases:        448 kgs    1,606 kgs
Transportation:        323 kgs    3,447 kgs

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer