Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Sustainable City

Here's your chance not just to be the mayor, but the original city planner as well! Imagine a medium sized city that would be developed with modern, low carbon transportation in mind, and other strategies to reduce the average citizens' carbon footprints.

What would that city look like? Would that make you more likely to want to live there?

Sustainable City >

The Importance of Pedestrian-Friendly Infrastructure

chri_szun

When was the last time you walked through the city, admiring the sights as you go to buy groceries?  When was the last time you walked anywhere without seeing a gas station on the corner? City infrastructure in this modern day was not made with pedestrians in mind. To the city planners, walking pedestrians are a roadblock, a problem to be fixed. What they are aiming for is a population that drives everywhere to pay for gas, pay the parking tickets, pay the fines for driving a red light. Cities like Amsterdam are the first city to adopt the donut economic model to limit climate impact, and they have been making countless innovations and improvements in many industries, such as low-waste dining, high-efficiency with low-carbon footprint construction, and was home to one of the first startup accelerators dedicated to sustainable fashion.  Amsterdam uses green energy whenever possible for hotels and venues, and continuously improves upon itself in all industries, consistently ranking high up in Schroders European Sustainable Cities Index, along with it’s population being highly dependent on bikes (not electric!), and low use of cars. If I were in charge of planning a city, I would take heavy inspiration from Amsterdam’s infrastructure and laws it has in place. I would put emphasis on making beautiful buildings, and move away from minimalist designs so people would go out more. I would dedicate large areas for recreational activities and gardens/other plants. I would heavily encourage local businesses, with less support given towards large retailers, and provide many trash/recycling bins all over the city for easy disposal.

Buhg1

I like your take on Amsterdam's well made infrastructure- you went into detail about every aspect that was improved, hopefully many US cities will also take inspiration from Amsterdam as well. Although there are some good examples of many US cities with infrastructure aimed to be pedestrian friendly, like Washington DC,Boston MA, and San Francisco.

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer